Definitely needs some work

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Breeze

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: February 22, 2020

Ship: Carnival Breeze

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 8383

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

There’s room for improvement, good not great.......

Embarkation

We had FTF we got to the port and about 25 mins later we were on board. Great system, great staff. Really friendly and helpful.

Ship experiences

The food at the MDR was disappointing. This is just an example of what my dinners looked. I’m keto so I always skipped the carb and all I got was one floret of broccoli. They offer no sugar free desserts, other than at formal night which I find strange. So for a diabetic it’s hard to find things to enjoy at the MDR. I did order a cheese plate our first night and it literally looked like left overs from someone else. 😣. Our waiter, looked mad the entire week except the last nigh, go figure. He never took our drink order, well other than mine. So everyone got water, every evening. The Buffet, was also odd. We tried to skip the MDR one night and attempted to have dinner at the buffet but other than getting some greens for a salad, the options are very limited. I understood that I have a dietary restrictions but other cruise lines do offer more options. I also didn’t understand how in the evening, more than half the buffet was closed 🤔. I did go to the omelette station almost every morning and my omelette was amazing and so was the guy making it. He was awesome. Now for the good... Guy’s burgers were my for to. I always tried to make it a late lunch in case dinner was a bust at the MDR 🤭. The Blue Iguana was my husband’s favorite place for breakfast and lunch. I did order a salad one day and OMG, the yummiest shrimps I’ve had in a very long time. Wish these venues were open for dinner as well. ( Guy’s & Blue Iguana) Another treat as the sea day brunch. We caught the second one and it was delicious. The staff was amazing there and the food was great. Definitely worth the try! Our kids really enjoyed Pig and anchor. They went on embarkation day and said the food was really good, and they are super picky. **We knew the night before our embarkation, the Breeze had a really rough night. So we did cut the MRD and MDR staff some slack, since they were on no sleep But the fact that nothing got better with time, it was disappointing.

There’s a lot going on. No way to be bored the staff does a really great job at having an array of activities throughout the day and evening! Only reason I gave it 3 stars was the hot tubs. They were not hot, like at all. At least not the one we used.

The shows are ok. If you’re looking for Broadway this is definitely not it. Short, entertaining and full of talent that’s for sure. Leigh and his staff definitely made our trip. We really enjoyed the shows and parties. Our favorite event was Groove For St. Judes. Our sailing raised over $7k in about an hour and a half😱🤗. Also, LOVE the appreciation and support Carnival and its staff has for Service member, active and retired a like!

Our room steward Jose was awesome. We would always stop and have a conversation with him. He’s been in the hospitality industry for over 20 years and he was a well of information. Again,our MDR staff really weren’t friendly. Some staff around the ship were nice and would say hello, but most would just ignore you. The Fun Squad was always a pleasure to see.

Our cabin was always clean, Jose did a great b Job. The ship itself looks like it’s needing some TLC. The outside has a lot of rust, and some places around the ship have definitely seen better days. There was this constant odor on the lower decks. Like sulfur. Not what you’re trying to smell as you make your way to the MDR. The Breeze definitely has a lot that everyone can enjoy, but I think she needs ti go into dry dock to give her a little bit of a facelift. I’m a travel agent, not sure if I would recommend to a client. Not till it gets some TLC.

Ship tip

If you have a chance to, grab your self a lounger and a drink and hang out at Serenity. Loved going up early in the morning, with my coffee and my camera. Great spot, great pics!

Ports of call

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

We really enjoyed Roatan. The sloths 🦥 were awesome. It was something that our eldest had at the top of his bucket list and what better way to remember your Senior year (thank God it was before this pandemic ) than crossing something off! I definitely recommend it! We really all enjoyed Mahogany Bay. Next time we port there, we’re making it. A beach day!

Belize City, Belize

Definitely do an excursion if you want to leave the port. Not much to do In the city itself. The port has lots of shops if you want to get off the ship ( you’ll have to tender ). We did the Mayan Ruins. It was definitely a ride lol. I think about 1.5 hrs to get to the ruins. But definitely worth it. We really loved our guide and the excursion.

We did a resort for a day and that was lovely. The port is self has a lot of shopping options. Oh and those darn Bamboo boxers, 🙄. Thanks Leigh, husband is now obsessed with them. 😆

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

Cold and rainy so we canceled our beach day. But we did explore the port. Loved it. So many shops, and things to do. Also, unlike the other ports, lots of places to grab something to eat.

Port Canaveral, Florida

Disembarkation

The staff did a great job at getting off the ship in an organized timely manner.