Pros & Cons

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Breeze

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 13, 2018

Ship: Carnival Breeze

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 2433

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

I am good at rolling with things when they are not perfect and I never expect vacations to be perfect, but on this trip, I felt that Carnival wasn't really about their guests as much as in the past. Our cruise director, Schwartz was a lot of fun, high energy and man, did that guy work all over that ship. As far as the stuff that happened with our room, I feel like we should have been heard and taken care of on the first night and something should have been done the second day. We didn't get moved until day 3 and they were like, "We'll try to find out where the noise is coming from" or "let us know if keeps happening." It was like hearing our boat crashing for 5 straight hours two nights in a row. Our room steward even went into our room both nights and heard it. It should have bee taken seriously and we were feeling like we were treated as an inconvenience or trying to get something for free. I did not ask for a suite, that's the room they moved us into and I was happy. Since I had to deal with cranky kids for 2 days on my vacation, I felt I was owed a new room and I felt like it took a lot for us to get that room. They should have taken the credit off our bill without making us wait in lines and beg for help. Aside from that, we made the best of our trip and still had a great time.

Embarkation

Amazing-Would have been mad to gt FTTF because it couldn't have been speedier at Port Canaveral-was amazed at how fast we got on the boat and our luggage was already there. We arrived at 1 and our time to board wasn't until 1:30. We were moving right away!

Ship experiences

Our service as always was excellent, but the food was just okay. In fact, I got Prime Rib one night and it was so cold and Kevin got a raw piece of beef tenderloin that he had to send back and even when it came back, it wasn't much better.

The jacuzzi's were not fully on and it was like bathing with strangers. The water park for the kids was cool and we even tried the slides. We played mini golf, but was upset about the jacuzzi and assumed that Carnival did this on purpose to make you buy the spa jacuzzi experience. We also attempted to play pool, but on a moving cruise ship, that was tough. Arcade was fun (expensive) and was not happy that we couldn't do the ropes course the entire time. No attendant there and it closed by 5 everyday. We didn't see one person do the course and either it was out of service or closed without attendant the entire time. The ropes course was one of the reasons we booked. Disappointed at that and the jacuzzi since all of them were like bathtubs without fully working. Some of the activities started ahead of schedule or late. Example would be Bingo starting 20 minutes late so they could sell more cards and make more money, but cards are sold hours earlier or a half hour prior to the game so I think the games should start on time or within 5 minutes because when guests have other activities planned, it's not fair to them just so the ship can make more on card sales.

Photo Gallery

I spend $300+ on photos on this trip. I have to say that the Hub app is such a great feature that Carnival offers and the Pixels team really is great and takes amazing pictures. They made this experience so streamlined and easy!

We weren't as impressed with the entertainment as our past cruise. Lip Sync Battle ended up being the best entertainment on the ship. The singers had way too much vocal effect for every show and were very talented, but the shows weren't wow worthy. The entertainment left us bored and catered more to older people to our surprise. It was choices of Bingo, Trivia, Clue and not enough shows. Was upset Carnival even got rid of the Captain's party for VIFP and just when I have been getting more VIFP points, they even cut back the rewards and taking away benefits, which makes me want to choose another cruise line. If I had known they would do this, I wouldn't have been sailing with them for the past few cruises.

Staff was amazing with the kids and as usual, the kids didn't want to leave camp.

We had an issue with our room 2433 that was major on nights 1 & 2. I took video on both nights over a 5 hour period and Kevin had to go to the desk at 5 in the morning over an intense banging by our heads. I mean massive, not just noise. We had staff coming into our room and they thought it was from the galley, but couldn't get it to stop. We got no sleep and the frustration made us want to fly home. They told us on night one that they had no other rooms and then magically after we had video and were beyond upset from night two (we had two crying kids along with us who got no sleep, too) and my son banged his head on the bunk's metal bar 3 times because he kept getting startled by the intensity of the noise), they finally found us another room. They ended up moving us into a suite, which was very nice and very appreciated. I don't want to sound ungrateful because finally we would be able to sleep, but we weren't just going to the front desk. We were calling and it made our first excursion crazy since none of us got any sleep and had to be up early. and had to move everything to another room when we had already unpacked us and 2 kids into our room. Carnival ended up giving us $150 credit for the trouble, but wanted us to buy something additional like spa services, etc. in order to get the credit. What? We are not cheap-I do not drink and we spent $1600+ on expenses and gratuities so I told the front desk that they could take it off of our sail and sign. They ended up refunding our Carnival booked excursion to credit us the $150. The only other things that was awful was pre-paying for internet to not have it work, but one time and it took 20 minutes to connect. they told me they would refund that purchase, but I am off the ship for 1 week and still, no refund. Other things that were irritating were 1. On this ship, there were 2 choices of breakfast. was to get up before 8:30 to have a seated family style breakfast or wait at the buffet, which closed lines and only had 2 available for the entire ship. No other options except room service. 2. They advertise 24 hour pizza and ice cream and beverage stations and the ice cream stations never had spoons or cups late at night or would not be working-every night. Coffee stations would not always have cups or the coffee would be old. Very few trash cans on ship and they were only for paper goods so if you were chewing gum, could only throw it out in room. Staff was always nice and welcoming and the kitchen service was wonderful.

Ship was always clean.

No one should ever book this room on the ship. We were talking with people in the buffet line who were on floor 6 and could hear the banging, but not like we did and we were on the second floor. Once we finally got moved to another room, we were great, but it didn't erase the first two nights.

Ship tip

I thought this would be the family ship full of things to do and it was just okay.

Ports of call

Port Canaveral, Florida

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic

Ocean World was fantastic and the reviews didn't do it justice. The dolphin experience was so memorable and special and the staff there was great as well as the bus ride.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Grand Turk Island

The Rainbow Calypso Tour was amazing. The staff there were fantastic and took us on an extra 30 minute tour of the island. They were fun and really made this tour great!

Disembarkation