Caribbean Princess Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Caribbean Princess was first-class

Sail Date: October 08, 2011

The ship was fine. My major complaint is that I thought the cafeteria was undersize and it was almost impossible to find a place to sit any time I went there and so relied on room service for breakfast most of the time. There are several options for dining, and sometimes there might be a short wait if you want to dine on your own schedule, but this was no big deal. There is less emphasis on wine selection than on other lines, such as Celebrity (my favorite line). There is no sommelier, and the list contains only very familiar wines (which may be just fine for most people). I liked the layout of our ocean-view stateroom--it seemed to have more storage room. The theater was beautiful and the entertainment was very good (but standard cruise ship stuff). Movies are shown on the sun deck, rain or shine, night and day. Interesting feature, but I can imagine how hard it would be to find a seat in the warm weather.

Pros: beautiful public spaces

Cons: not enough room in main cafeteria

Recommends Caribbean Princess? Yes!

Everyone was wonderful
Ignore any comments you may read about rust, carpet wear, etc. The ship is beautiful and I found no areas of deficiency. In the public bathrooms I prefer cloth towels (as used on Celebrity) , but otherwise they were fine.
Food was average cruise ship fare--no complaints here. I always steer clear of foods that may not be prepared properly such as prime rib and such. My husband had complaints about overcooked meats but everythin I had was just fine.
The room was fine--standard ocean view deck 8. I thought there was more room for storage than on most ships I've been on. I wish the selection on tv was better.
Standard cruise ship stuff. Very nice.
Boston, Massachusetts
We rented a car from Enterprise and drove to Plimouth Plantation, an hour south. If you do rent a car, watch out for traffic and plan accordingly so that you're back in time. Enterprise is very accommodating and will drive you back to the pier.
Don't Miss: All the Freedom Trail stuff, which we'd done before.
Bar Harbor, Maine
Nice town with lots of shopping. Acadia Nat'l Park is a must-see. Many opportunities to eat lobster and blueberry pie.
Don't Miss: Acadia Nat'l Park.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Citadel and Maritime Museum are interesting. I thought he hop on and hop off bus was very overpriced at $39, although the narrated tour aspect is good. Most tourist sites is within walking distance if you are in reasonably good shape. The local folks here were very nice.
Don't Miss: The Maritime Museum and the Citadel. Loved the various uniforms.
Newport, Rhode Island
Since I had seen the mansions before we just went for a walk on the Cliff Walk and wandered around town. It is a beautiful little town with lots of good shopping. Makes me wish I were rich!
Don't Miss: The mansions
Saint John, New Brunswick
Not much to do in town, so most people go to the reversing falls, which is a bus ride away.
Don't Miss: The provincvial museum is fabulous! Three floors of state-of-the-art presentations on local history, naturanl history, and local art.