Canary Island Trip

Helpful Vote: 1

Landscapes of Portugal & the Canaries
Sail Date: October 14, 2017
Ship: Black Watch

The average age was 78 on this cruise. In case of an emergency, a large percentage of passengers would not be able to access the lifeboats as they were unable to use the stairs. The lifts were in constant use,
The staff on the ship were lovely. Hard working and friendly. The food was excellent. But since my last cruise, it felt like a hard sell wherever you went. From the spa to the coffee shop. Disappointingly, it was not possible to get a decent cappuccino for breakfast anywhere. The library/cafe sells cappuccino but the staff were unable to make decent ones. They cost £2.50. In this day and age, it would have been easy to install a cappuccino machine for passenger use. This was the most disappointing part of the cruise.

We arrived at the port much later than the suggested time and found it very quiet. We went through the embarkation process quickly. At the check-in desk I asked the guy to punch a hole in the card he gave us but I was told he could not do that. Several days later, I asked Guest Services to do it which they did without any trouble. I then attached a lanyard to it. This was very helpful for my 90 year old father.

The dining rooms were busy all the time. Often with queues before opening times. After a while, it got a bit boring being seated with others and having to talk whilst eating. The food was excellent, especially the soups. The most disappointing food items were the desserts. They looked delicious but all tasted similar.

Fitness centre was quite good but often closed as it was on Deck 10 and it was closed in choppy weather. Many activities used to be more spontaneous, but now everything is organised with people leading the sessions. This takes the fun out of it. The talks were dull. They could have been so much more interesting. I was looking forward to the art classes but this time round, there was a £18.50 fee which put me off.

All the performers worked very hard. They were talented and able to put on excellent shows.

Because I have no children

Waiters, room stewards and other personnel were excellent. Friendly and helpful at all times but worried about their short term contracts.

Its a nice old ship and I like the small size. it was very well maintained.

The cabin was ok, size wise, but awful without a window. My father's cabin was 5059 and was very nice. Because we were single occupancy, it was very expensive.

Get a cabin with a window.
Take a shoe holder bag for all your nick naks. Take a night light and an alarm clock as the lack of a windows, combined with several change of time zones was disorientating.

All ports of call were very interesting but the ship did not stick to the itinerary and we got much shorter time ashore than was advertised.
The ship was supposed to stop here but did not due to being diverted to Cherbourg (boring) because of a hurricane.
Wonderful paradise of an island. The fruit and veg markets are amazing. Really beautiful. We took a cab up to the gardens and the driver was very knowledgable.
Was ok, a little bit run down but still interesting.
Could have spent 2 days here as there was so much to see. The stop was way too short.
Very intriguing island developed by the Artist, Cesar Henriques.
Great destination.
I loved it - we went on the walking tour of the city. Drink albarino wine, a local speciality.
No customs which was odd. Total chaos once on land. We were told we could stay in cabins until 8am but the beds were stripped long before that. There was not enough seating for everyone hanging around and what kind of time is 5am to dock? Only for the convenience of the company.