Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Needs improvement

Sail Date: April 08, 2016

I sailed on the Anthem from 4/8 - 4/18.   First, I would like to compliment the captain and crew on keeping us informed on a daily basis of weather conditions and re routing of the ship.  We ate the first night at the Grande - I had the osso bucco and it was ok.  My husband had the seafood pasta and it was not edible - the pasta was like mush.  We tried the Grande a few days later and it was even worse - I had the gnocchi figuring there was no way they could screw this up. The gnocchi was had the consistency of stale/hard bread with no flavor at all.  My husband chose the safe route with Pork loin - it was edible, but tasteless.   A few days we had breakfast at the WIndjammer - the omelets were excellent. The waffles and pancakes were dry and hard around the edges - a couple of days there was no syrup available.   We ate a few specialty restaurants - Chops was just ok - service was fantastic!  We chose to pay up for the dry aged steaks in addition to the restaurant charge and it was not worth it at all.   We also ate at Jamie's which was good - the pasta sauces were way to heavy and rich, they can lighten up on that a bit.  The lamb chops were fantastic.   So in a nutshell - the food at the restaurants can use improvement.  We didn't bother to eat at Silk, Chic or American Icon Grill as we heard horror stories on those as well.  We ate 2 nights at the Wine Bar Vintages - ordered the cheese plate from Jamies for an extra charge.  We also ate at Michaels Pub for an extra charge and had the cheeseburger and fried chicken - both were delicious and the service at both of these bars was excellent.   Now to the outside bars.  The first obnoxious thing about the pool area is that unless you reserve a chair by 9 a.m.  you are basically out of luck.   We were in the solarium bar on the 1st day of sailing and I literally stood at the bar for 25 minutes waiting for a drink.   There were 2 bartenders for approximately 40 guests.  3 times someone walked up next to me, said "hey buddy" to the bartender and were served before me.  Finally I spoke up and the bartender said "im waiting on someone right now" then after he finished serving the passenger - walked into the back room now leaving just 1 bartender.  This was the experience at all pool bars during the day.   I usually just went down to the 4th or 5th floor and got my drinks there - a bit of a hassle, but better than getting aggravated.  Usually there are pool servers walking around making it much easier to get a drink.  My thought is that since everyone seems to have the liquor package, there was no incentive to the bartenders to expedite any type of service.     As far as getting on and off the ship - they did a very good job.

Cabin / Stateroom Our cabin steward was excellent