Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Third Mate

Beautiful Ship - Death Defying Trip

Sail Date: February 06, 2016

If you haven't been living in a cave the past two weeks you probably saw the Anthem of the Seas in the news.  We knew from the start it was going to be a rough trip.  However, it is only by the grace of God that this didn't turn into a disaster dwarfing the Titanic.  We didn't turn into the wind until the ship began listing.  The listing was due to the winds hitting this ship broadside.  It took about thirty minutes to get the ship into position to ride out the storm.  The next eight hours were sheer terror.  Broken glass in the bathroom and items getting tossed around the stateroom.  Even I was tossed from the bathroom door onto the bed across the room.  Slight injury that I chose not to report.  After reaching the coast of Florida it was decided to turn the ship around.  Five days at sea with no stops.  Although it looks like a beautiful ship we never got to explore it  or utilize it's many amenities.  I have cruised out of New York before and have hit rough seas.  Nothing like this.  Sustained winds were 150mph.  Captain himself, in an interview the next day,  mentioned that we had recorded gusts at 180mph!  If you choose to cruise out of New York I would strongly urge you to avoid the winter and the hurricane season (summer and fall).  Guess that leaves just the spring.  As a result we are getting a full refund of the cruise fare and 50% off (based on that fare) for a future cruise taken within the next twelve months.  However, I am getting nothing towards my lost vacation time.  I am only thankful we are still alive.  For a while there I thought the ship was going to capsize.

Cabin was very modern. Shower was very nice, however, in the rough seas I thought the shower door was going to shatter as it kept swinging open and hitting the entry door.
Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey
Parking lot next door was very convenient.

Book your restaurants before you board. Cruise only in the spring before hurricane season.