Exciting Theme Cruises Take You Below Deck, Back to the '70s, and More
Themed cruises are a ton of fun — there aren't many things better than taking an awesome vacation on a ship with people interested in the same things as you. We’ve gathered five unique themed cruises that are worth checking out.
1. Get on Deck Cruise
Fans of the Bravo show “Below Deck” will have a chance to meet and mingle with some of the stars during a special 6-night western Caribbean cruise aboard Celebrity Equinox. The voyage is bookable exclusively through travel agents with Dream Vacations, whose corporate office worked closely with Celebrity to select the perfect itinerary and ship for the special sailing. Captain Lee Rosbach and “Chief Stew” Kate Chastain will host a variety of events and activities onboard, giving fans a chance to interact and get to know a bit more about them.
- Meet and greets
- Themed parties
- Book signings
- Q&A session
Learn more at dreamvacations.com/getondeck.
2. Northern Isles Knitting Cruise
Set sail for the Norwegian fjords, Scotland, Iceland, and other stunning destinations during the 14-night Northern Isles Knitting Cruise aboard Holland America’s Zuiderdam. While on the ship, attend specialized knitting workshops taught by popular knitting guru JC Briar, who is a self-described “technique freak.” Classes include topics such as Lace Basics, Patterned Brioche, Cast-on Cornucopia, and Next Steps in Brioche. The knitting fanfare doesn’t stop once you step ashore in port, either. Many organized tour options will be themed around yarn, fiber production, and meeting local knitters.
- Shopping for Icelandic wool and popular kits at Klæðakot in the town of Ísafjörður in northwest Iceland
- Seeing demonstrations of traditional spinning and knitting given by the Shetland Guild of Spinners, Weavers, Knitters and Dyers at the Böd of Gremista and Shetland Textile Working Museum
- Meeting local knitters from Ripples Crafts and Loch Ness Knitting while shopping at a pop-up fiber market featuring popular indie-dyers including Black Isles Yarns, TJ Frog, and Artisan Thread in The Highlands
- Seeing traditional Norwegian costumes and perusing the yarn selection at Husfliden, Norway's hand-craft guild store
Learn more at craftcruises.com.
3. Impractical Jokers Cruise
Join stars Joe, Sal, Q, & Murr from truTV’s show “Impractical Jokers” for four days of fun aboard Norwegian Pearl sailing to the Bahamas. The sailing includes multiple comedy shows from entertainers in The Tenderloins comedy troupe as well as others the troupe handpicked, an array of activities hosted by the show’s stars, and theme nights including a classic 80’s night, a luau party, and ‘dress as your favorite joker.’
- Late-Night Karaoke with Sal
- Poker Tournament with Q
- Sandcastle Building with Murr
- Joe’s Impractical Relay Race for Kids
- Late-Night Podcast with Q
Learn more at impracticaljokerscruise.com.
4. Holistic Holiday at Sea
Touted as the “original vegan cruise,” Holistic Holiday at Sea was named “One of the 100 Best Worldwide Vacations to Enrich Your Life” by National Geographic Traveler. The 2020 sailing will be a 7-night Caribbean cruise on MSC Divina. Onboard the ship, plant-based experts and advocates host lectures and workshops centered around a variety of wellness topics. The voyage also includes a whole food, plant-based menu as well as dishes for those who have dietary needs, such as avoiding gluten or oil. Classes and activities are hosted by professionals in their field, including doctors, dietitians, authors, chefs, and yoga instructors.
- Plant-based cooking classes
- Yoga, pilates, meditation, and fitness classes, including Zumba
- Lectures on the benefits of veganism
- Lectures on health including Take Pain Control Into Your Own Hands, Better Posture 101, and Understanding Back and Neck Pain
- Lectures on nutrition including The Gut Microbiome, Deconstructing the Keto and Paleo Diets, Beating Cancer With Nutrition, and Medical Cannabis
- A number of specially arranged shore excursions that include a vegan meal
Learn more at holisticholidayatsea.com.
5. '70s Rock & Romance Cruise
“We'll bring you back to the days of polyester, platforms and pet rocks and let you relive all the feel good memories, music, and all the fun!” This welcoming statement on the '70s Rock & Romance Cruise website sets the tone for the atmosphere you’ll find on this special music-themed cruise. Over a dozen original artists and cover bands are slated to perform during this 7-night Caribbean cruise aboard Celebrity Infinity. Other activities are also scheduled to keep the party going no matter the time of day, including karaoke, artist Q&A sessions, and even a vow renewal ceremony.
- '70s Disco Party under the stars
- '70s Costume Ball
- Panel Discussions
- Wine Tasting with Halleck Vineyard
- A celebrity-led vow renewal ceremony
- ABBA, Bee Gees, and Queen tribute bands
- Performances from Cheap Trick, Don Felder (from The Eagles), Jefferson Starship, America, and many more
Learn more at rockandromancecruise.com.
Join The Discussion
Have you ever taken a theme cruise?