Zuiderdam Cruise Review to Caribbean

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Review of 2/25-3/8/13 Cruise

Sail Date: February 25, 2013

I was not pleased with the cruise for several reasons. The crew was poorly trained. They were very pleasant and willing; however, they did not really know what to do or when to do it. They also did not know enough English to just get by. I know you will call me a spoiled American but listen up HAL ceo: Americans pay they majority of your salary. Crew unpreparedness is definitely a fault of management. The food selections were limited, more inexpensive cuts of meat than expensive ones, and quite a few dishes were somewhat more salty than they should have been. Salt hides many sins when it comes to food. Again, crew cooks what management gives them. When I put on a sweater everyone else in the room is putting on their coats and mittens. Heat helps to cover up the smell of dry rot but we were in warm climes so I guess you have to ramp up the cold air. I was cold in some of your public spaces. Luckily we were one of the few that could still control their room temperature. Quite a few people were not that lucky. Tours were ok but on the expensive side for what we got and were set up so they left little port time. The shows were ok - nothing outstanding. Maybe it's a sign of the times and this is the "new normal" where the ceo is teaching the peons to start getting used to the "haves" and the "have nots." Also, for your reading pleasure mr. ceo go to the newspaper we got on board I believe on March 4 where the Swiss people voted to curtail ceo pay and impose fines and jailtimes on ceos who ran a business into the ground. This cruise makes me think of a business headed for the ground.
smelled of dry rot and saw quite a few leaks in public areas
cheap foods and oversalted
steward did his job at all times
they were willing and able for the amount of training they had which was lacking on management's part.
so-so
Children's Programs n/a

Avoid this ship until it is completely refurbished and possibly owned by another company.