Zuiderdam Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Very disappointed

Sail Date: January 25, 2013

The Zuiderdam needs to be completely refurbished as it is "tired". There was no WOW factor as with other ships. The Lido pool area was disgusting and depressing. The deck chairs on the top deck looked as though they were left over from the Titanic. There always seemed to be maintenance issues throughout the ship. In general the food was okay. The Lido buffet had a nice variety but seemed disorganized and the tables were not always cleaned and set up. The anytime dining was anything but anytime. We did eat at the Pinnacle several times and it was wonderful.
I did have a facial at the Greenhouse Spa which was very nice until the tech started pushing the products. I understand this is expected but she was relentless and I felt as though I was being held hostage. It was most uncomfortable.
Most of the staff and crew were very helpful especially the cabin stewards and the bartenders. I think that the dining crew is understaffed.

The ports were okay. Of course, the Canal experience was great.

In summary, with so many cruise choices out there, I would not recommend HAL.