Excursions were great, ship just okay

Zaandam Cruise Review to South America

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Zaandam

30 Night South America & Inca Discovery (Buenos Aires To Ft. Lauderdale)

Sail date: March 03, 2018

Ship: Zaandam

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: 3353

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

I am glad I went, but I was not impressed with Holland America. I have been spoiled by sailing on Viking

Embarkation

It went fairly fast. We were sent in groups to register according to when we arrived at the pier. We had chairs to wait in rather than standing in long lines.

Ship experiences

The stage shows were just okay. The violin player who performed in the afternoons was good.

I liked the tub which meant the shower was bigger than average. The cabin was a little smaller because we were on the promanade deck. (My fault for not reading carefully the literature) The light was on most of the time at night on that deck which filtered in to the room.

Ports of call

Buenos Aires, Argentina

We did the early 3 days. It was good excurjsions. Once on the ship I did the wine tasting which was great.

Montevideo, Uruguay

We toured the city and then went to a winery for lunch and wine tasting. Great time.

Port Stanley, Falkland Islands

Went to the bluff and saw penguins. They were well worth going. Had a drink and a sweet on the beach which was part of the tour.

Punta Arenas, Chile

Liked it, but wish the guide had a voice box with us having the receiver. We couldn't always hear the guide. We visited the Bounty which Darwin sailed on (it was a full size replica) as well as two other ships. Would have liked to visit the museum longer.

Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina

Did a boat tour. Saw birds, sea lions, whales, penguins. MOst of it was quite interesting. Well worth the ride.

Puerto Montt, Chile Did not visit port

Seas too high. We would have used tenders to get in and the seas were too dangerous to traverse.

San Antonio, Chile Did not visit port

Had no ltime. Had to ride to airport for a 3 pm flight.

Disembarkation

Easy. We went off according to iternary.