Zaandam Cruise Review to South America

Third Mate

Absolutely Brilliant

Sail Date: December 22, 2013

This is my second time to Antarctica and it was an even better experience than my first time.  Sunny for 2 whole days, sea like glass.  The "expedition team" put on by HAL included a naturalizt who was related to one of Scott's deceased explorers from 1912, and three others associated with the National Science Foundation's Antarctic reserach.  At least 4 hours of lectures every sea day as well as organized bird watching every morning kept the mind active.  To those peple who complain that some of the port cities of Argetina, Chile and Uraguay are run down, I say "duh!"  They are port cities.  They are not St. Thomas.  And to those who spent the days in Antarctica sitting in the hot tub on the Lido deck or pigging out in the buffet, I have to ask why you wasted your money.

This cruise is for those who want to immerse themselves in the wilds of the Soth Atlantic and to travel in the footsteps of the explorers of 100 years ago.  I walked over 10 miles per day on deck, and took over 2000 pictures, mostly south of 60 degrees south.  There were some old fogeys, as on all cruises, but after 2300hrs in the Crow's Nest, there were probably 50 or so people in their 20s and 30s.

This is a cruise of a lifetime - the ship was immaculate, the serving staff attentive as always.  Do it.

Cruise Photos