Nice and relaxing

Viking Kvasir Cruise Review to River Cruises - Europe

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Rhine Getaway Northbound (Basel To Amsterdam)
Sail Date: May 04, 2016
Ship: Viking Kvasir

We sailed from Amsterdam to Basel in the end of May! It was a very nice and relaxing vacation. We stayed for 2 days in Amsterdam before cruise. And I recommend it highly. Not only because Amsterdam is such lovely and very different city. But it also helps you to get over your jet lag, that is, of course, lf you fly from US. The ship is great, very clean, contemporary interior design, done in pastel pleasing colors. State rooms are tiny, but very comfortable. Service is impeccable, the cru is wonderful, just terrific people, everyone of them. Soooo pleasant and extremely accomodating, it looks like they absolutely love what they do. FOOD! Food is fantastic! Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Coffee and little baked snacks are always available for you in a lobby. We enjoyed all inclusive excursion, and took 2 optional, Mercedes Benz factory (Phenomenal!!!) and Town of Colmar(Magic). The only thing I object is the timing of the excursions. Much much too early! And the ship most of the time does not live until very late. To me, that was the only detrimental point. At night, after dinner in a lounge, it is very nice to relax, have a drink, listen to the music and dance a little. You don't feel like going to bed early. Getting up in the morning at 7 am is not my ideal vacation. Of course we did and went to see every beautiful place, I think we have not gotten more then 5, 6 hours of sleep. This is the only thing I would change.  If it were up to me. In Basel we also stayed for 2 days, and it is good idea too. We were there before, but to come such a long way, it seemed not right to go home straight from the ship. Altogether it was very enjoyable trip. I am sure you,ll love it just like we did!

The cabin was good. But it was almost at the end of the ship, we could hear engine. Not too loud. But if had a choice, I,d booked cabin closer to the front.

Bring very casual and comfortable clothes, and, of course super comfortable shoes. The streets are all cobble stone, very uneven surface, sneakers would work the best. Wear layers, so you can easily remove something or put on, as in the morning it can be plain cold, much warmer later on in a day.