We will never cruise with Princess again !!!.

Star Princess Cruise Review to Hawaii

Star Princess

invalid-28339

Sail Date: February 02, 2018

Ship: Star Princess

Cabin Number: C222

Review Summary

Princess cruises standards have dropped to an unacceptable level. The food was the worst I have ever encountered on any cruise ship. As far as the itinerary is concerned, too many days at sea bearing in mind there are only 4 stops in Hawaii. It would be much better to have overnight stays in Honolulu and Maui and miss out Hilo. We wish we had flown to Hawaii and spent more time on some of most beautiful islands

Embarkation

Very good, unfortunately everything went downhill from here.

Ship Experiences

We last sailed with Princess 10 years ago and the food was excellent. How things have changed. During the past ten years we have cruised with 8 different cruise lines and we were shocked at the standard of dining on the Star. The main dining room food just about edible but the buffet food is disgraceful. There was only one roast meat at every sitting and it was raw, not rare, RAW!. All the vegetables we undercooked and cold even when you waited for a freshly cooked pan. The roast and boiled potatoes were as hard as rock. The only place you could get well cooked meat and hot fries was at the burger bar. We do not go on a cruise to dine at the burger bar for goodness sake !!!.

The Gym has recently had some new equipment but it is inadequate. The Spa is pleasant but vastly overpriced and the constant sell sell sell is not conducive to a relaxed environment

The entertainment was a good standard. We enjoyed the shows. The musicians, dancers and singers were excellent and the Trivia games were good fun. Hosts Jody and Nathan were superb. HOWEVER, we were not impressed by the Cruise Director Angela Kristensen. We found her to be crude and coarse, more suited to working mens clubs than a cruise ship.

Our room steward worked hard and did her best with a cabin and balcony that was tired. Generally the staff were pleasant and helpful.

The layout of the ship is very good and works well. The ship has recently had new carpets in the public areas and looks fresh although it is showing its age in some areas. As far as cleanliness is concerned, the biggest issue we had was the tables in the buffet were never cleaned after they had been vacated. This needs to be addressed with some urgency.

The cabin has recently been fitted with a large TV and a new mattress and that is it. Our first impression was the carpet that was stained and worn. The shower room was very cramped and old. The extractor fan over the sink looked like it had not been cleaned since new. However it was the balcony that disappointed the most. The furniture was disgustingly filthy. After a long day we had a vision of sitting on our balcony sharing a bottle of wine. I spent an hour cleaning the table chairs and footstools before we could sit down. The balcony doors were also filthy as were the partitions, glass panels and floor matting. When I had removed the filth from the chairs I realised that they were also covered in white paint. There was also a multitude of badly painted and rusty pipes near the balcony doors.

The ship is old and the cabins are not up to standard. The food and dining is woeful. My advice would be cancel and not only change ships but cruise line as well. We will never cruise with Princess again !.

Ports Of Call

San Pedro (Los Angeles), California

We stayed in LA for two days before the cruise. We booked our own excursions.

Lahaina, Maui

This was a great place to visit. After shopping in the beautiful little town we caught the local bus. Just 3 dollars for a day pass. We managed to see many of the wonderful beaches just hopping on and off the very frequent busses. A great day.

Hilo, Hawaii

Why the ship stops here I will never know. What a grim place this is. Apart from an out of town shopping mall there is very little to do. The town has no character whatsoever. The public transport is diabolical and it is impossible to get a taxi. This is one stop where I recommend booking an excursion with the cruise. There must be something to see on this island but where, I have no idea !.

Honolulu, Oahu

Again we bought a day bus ticket for a few dollars. The journey to the north shore was stunning. We had lunch at Turtle Bay Resort .Twenty dollars each including drinks and the most amazing scenery. In the evening we walked to Waikiki Beach to watch the magnificent firework display. Finished off the day with some shopping. A very memorable day.

Nawiliwili, Kauai

A bit of a let down. We took the shuttle to the shopping mall. After lunch on the ship we walked to the local beach. It's OK but the water is not very inviting. All the other beaches we saw the water was crystal clear but not this. There are a few shops and hotels nearby.

Ensenada, Mexico

I did not expect this to be good and I was right. The walk on the promenade into town was pleasant. There are fountains, green areas and monuments. However the town itself is not the best. There are plenty of shops but all seem to be selling the same tacky souvenirs.

Disembarkation

Standing for over an hour in a hot shed waiting for someone to look at my passport is not my idea of fun.