Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Review of my cruise on Serenade of the Seas from Copenhagen to Boston

Sail Date: August 28, 2016

Reviewed: 1 month ago

The Itinerary is always the most important part when we choose a particular cruise.  This one was excellent.  The Ports of call were all places we were interested in visiting and all measured up to our expectations.  Norway, Iceland and Halifax, Nova Scotia were all very beautiful with great weather.

The cabin was perfect for our needs. Our attendant, Adriana Santos, was such a pleasure. She worked very hard, was dedicated to doing a very good job and was so warm and pleasant.
We had not been on the ship 8 hours when we encountered our first major problem. Our suitcase was held at guest services and we had to open it and prove that the "liquid" that had been detected in the case was not smuggled alcohol. I have never been so insulted in my life. Security had made the assumption that we were smuggling, but instead of security taking care of it, a bartender was brought in. Bad practice. Security made the assumption, they should have been the ones to check. However, if they had checked the bag against our name they would have found we are Diamond Plus members and the need to smuggle alcohol was not necessary. Being Diamond Plus members we have access to alcoholic drinks every day from 4:30 till 8 p.m. If I choose to, because of my status, I can drink myself into oblivion every day, just as many passengers in the same category as I am do. However I am an insulin dependent diabetic and I DO NOT drink. Check with the stateroom attendant, it is necessary for me to have a sharps box for my needles and injection pens. Every cruise I take, I pack a bottle of mouthwash in my case, this cruise was no different. I was guilty until I could prove my innocence, which sadly is so UnAmerican.
I feel I deserve an apology from the head of security for Royal Caribbean.
Our second major problem was at disembarkation. We had an early morning flight so we were in line at 6:15 a.m. for Immigration. We completed Immigration by 7:25 a.m. My husband and I were among the first 20 people off the ship, dragging our luggage because we were making a fast departure, but unfortunately we had to drag everything back up the ramp, back onto the ship and get in a new much longer line. Apparently this was because of Immigration in Boston. We got off to a very bad start so I suppose an horrendous finish was to be expected.
I did not enjoy the Serenade of the Seas. There is something on that ship that aggravated my sinuses and eyes. My eyes, nose and throat were irritated and my eyes and nose watered constantly. I don't know if it was dust or something in the air throughout the ship, or maybe all the sanitizing "stuff" used all over the ship to help prevent sickness but it was a miserable time for me on the ship. Whilst on shore I had no problems.
The best entertainment was the English Pianist and the young English Lady, Molly Cockburn. Excellent musicians. Apparently the Pianist got in trouble for being out on stage too long. That is so sad. He was a wonderful musician and marvelous story teller. He explained the music and gave some history of the composer and how everything fit together. He was a great entertainer which made it a great experience for the audience. The cruise director was such an amateur. You really need someone with more experience and a better grasp of the English language for cruise director.
Angel Romero and Khemraj Oodith were our waiters in the dining room, 8 p.m. dining. Professional, Polite and very attentive to our needs. Made it a great experience after a nightmare the first 2 nights in my time dining.