Ruby Princess Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Best Cruise Ever!

Sail Date: June 23, 2012

The ports were amazing. The cost of tours was ridiculous! We ended up doing most on our own and had a great time!
The food was very good-excellent. At times we were not thrilled with the menu of the day in the dining room, but they always had other options available which were excellent standbys. Service in dining rooms was very good, not superb. I did not like that at every meal they were trying to sell us something. (after dinner drinks, wine packages, coffee packages etc. I wish they would just cut the sales pitches which I felt were constant.)
I miss the poolside music that you find on some cruiselines. There was very little music going on and only once was there sailaway music as we left a port. On other cruises this added to the excitement (for me) of leaving a port to move on to another wonderful experience to come. Honestly, I was frequently bored on the ship. I did not think the entertainment was very good. It was ok. The comedian was very funny, magician/juggler was very good. Singer/Dancers were amateurish and tacky. I felt like I was at a high school performance.
Despite the fact that we were in Europe and we needed the Euro, the ATMs gave money in USD, then you had to go to a currency exchange machine on board to change to Euros. This means you get hit with high ATN fees and then high conversion fees.
Having a balcony was nice, however, one day while sitting outside I began having debris fall on me as the staff were sanding the varnish off an upper level rail without considering what was below. It was a good thing I was not eating!
The service desk staff were not very helpful and were not consistent. If you went to 3 people with the same questions you would get a different answer each time. We had made prior arrangements to disembark on the last night prior to leaving on our trip and confirmed this once on board. However when we went to get off with our luggage we were not alllowed off and made to return back to the service desk to stand in line to find out they made a mistake. Very frustrating! Also, we wer told there were taxis to take us to the airport at the pier. When we disembarked thge ship there were no taxis. We had to have a police officer use his cell phone to call a taxi for us. Very embarrassing!
All in all a great trip. The ports of call, other than Monte Carlo which I could care less about, were amazing and well worth a return trip!

Pros: Ports of Call

Cons: Boring

Recommends Ruby Princess? Yes!