Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Contributor Level: Third Mate

No rest while on vacation

Sail Date: August 23, 2014

I was truly excited to go to Hawaii because I had never been there before. As recommended by a travel agent, taking a cruise was the best way too see most of Hawaii instead of flying by plane, which would be too expensive. The first day I arrived on the ship, I was so pleased with my room but that night following the entire time on the ship was a nightmare.

As I recall, everyone upon boarding the ship had to fill out a short questionnaire regarding their physical health and I submitted the form as required. However, an elderly Japanese woman was right next door to me who was extremely ill and was coughing profusely that I was up all night. The second night was the same experience and I immediately called guest services and informed them that this woman really needs to be in a hospital and not on a cruise ship. I was told that Norwegian cannot force anyone on the ship to seek medical help. I stated clearly that this was not only wrong to ignore this problem but I was on vacation and this was also not fair to me. As a result the entire 7 days, I did not sleep and this poor woman who was ill, isolated herself in her room during the entire cruise. The cruise did have translators to visit her but the conditions remained the same.

Also, Many of the shore excursions were early in the morning, so if I wanted to see many parts of the island I had to get up every day by 5:30am. Despite the nightmare of not being able to sleep while on my dream vacation to Hawaii, I was able somehow to see as much as I could but I am so glad to get back home and rest.

For the record, I have worked 20 years in healthcare in New York City where I live and I could never recommend Norwegian cruise line or any organization that disregards the welfare of others. I hope to return to Hawaii again but  I will never deal with Norwegian and will inform 200+ coworkers who knew about my trip to pick another cruise line.

The prices are too high and the hours of many of these excursions are too early in the morning.
Honolulu, Oahu
Really did not have time to see Honolulu the first day because I had less than 2hours because the ship was leaving for Maui and by the time my luggage was delivered to my room it was too late. The last day upon returning to Honolulu I was able to see a little bit of the city because Everyone had to disembark from the ship by 9am.
Kahului, Maui
Hilo, Hawaii
I really enjoyed visiting the botanical garden.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
I actually vomited on the boat during the glass reef excursion because the cheap quality boat was so rocky. I guess that is why the tour guide was proving drinks to everyone to calm our stomachs.
Nawiliwili, Kauai
I had a great time visiting the beautiful botanical garden.