Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Islands vs Ship

Sail Date: August 02, 2014

All islands visited were were worth even more than we paid. Magnificent, especially Kauai. The ships crew are to be commended. We were only marginally bothered by the hurricanes, and I believe the crew did an admirable job.

The ship has to be rated "poor." My balcony had rust. The drawers did not slide or fit properly. We found old coffee in the pot when we first arrived. I've cruised before and always find staterooms and their bathrooms rather small, but on POA they are tiny, miniscule. We couldn't even find space for our suitcases. Announcements are made but not into the rooms. We'd here and have to go to the hallway to hear it.

The experienced wait staff was fine, but it seemed there were many "newbies" who were not sure of what to do in certain circumstances. The food selection was fairly good, and the quality excellent. The "paying" restaurants were wonderful, especially Le Bistro.

To cruise the Hawaiian islands is a dream come true, and should be done by anyone who can afford it (and I don't mean all the way from Los Angeles). However if Royal Caribbean or Princess starts up such a cruise, go with them.

Honolulu, Oahu
Germain's Luau and Pearl Harbor
Kahului, Maui
Road to Hana, if you are brave
Hilo, Hawaii
Kilauea
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Kona Coffee & macadamia nut farm
Nawiliwili, Kauai
HURRICANE!!!!! But I'd advise the helicopter ride

The pool area is rather small.

1 Comment