Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Loved it!

Sail Date: May 18, 2013

I have gone on several cruises, this was my firts with Norwegian.

I loved the itinerary. Ship seemed very clean with the exception of a few of the public restrooms which if the wind was right, you would get to breathe in the unpleasant odor! Crew was nice and helpful and it was nice to see a lot of Americans at work on the ship.

This was my first time with the Freestyle Cruising, I liked that we could eat dinner at our convenience, but service was sometimes slow. I did miss the entertainment by the dining staff that comes with the more traditional cruising style and the efficiency of serving each part of the meal.

There were not a lot of kids on this cruise (could be due to school not being out yet), which was nice, on the other hand this cruise seemed to draw a much older clientele - many seniors.

We did several excursions - through Norwegian - and all were fantastic, only did one that I would most likely not recommend.

Overall: I loved it and would do it again.

We had an inside cabin on deck 8 at the very AFT of the ship, door faced AFT. Loved it, not a lot of traffic passing by.
did not use
typical cruise activities
Loved all but one excursion - Wailua River and Fern Grotto - felt it was pricey for what you got.
Honolulu, Oahu
This was my first time in Hawaii, thought Honolulu and Waikiki was dirty, not a good first impression.
Kahului, Maui
Did the Rainforest and Waterfall Hike - Our guide (Dawn) made what could have been a very boring excursion, very enjoyable. It was very interactive, we got to sample many of the fruits from the plants that we passed and swimming in the waterfalls was heaven. Laughed the entire time.
Hilo, Hawaii
Did the Kilauea 2 Ways excursion. Lava fields were absolutely amazing, have never seen anything like it. Loved the black sand beach.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Did the Captain Zodiak Raft and Snorkel tour. I would recommend this for even the non-snorkelers as it is worth it just for the raft ride!
Nawiliwili, Kauai
Did the Beach Snorkel. We had the best guide - Paul. Very entertaining. Saw turtles and a variety of fish.