Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

First NCL and Hawaii Cruise

Sail Date: October 27, 2012

Pride of America was a fairly large ship, well staffed with courteous personnel generally proactive in their efforts to provide information and assistance. Only one time of dissatisfaction in 24/7 for 7 days. Acoustics for shows was good, PA system was OK if not in a cabin, where it was totally unrecognizable. Rooms were quiet, even though close to the pool area. Pool and hot tub areas were generally well kept (not allowed to become slipping hazards with a lot of water on the floor area). Did not go to specialty restaurants as I felt the added charge was unfair. Main buffet dining area was generally well stocked, but a little repetitive over the 7 days. However fresh fruit was a highlight. Did not participate in pool games, though those who did seemed to have fun. Entertainment was very good, though scheduling made it impossible to see all the ones I wanted to. SHore excursions were plentiful, and the process well organized. The prices were undercut significantly by on-shore outfits. Too bad I found out about them after the fact. Could have saved nearly 50% from NCL prices. Bummer. I think less emphasis on alcohol consumption and including soft drinks in the base price would enhance the overall experience.

Pros: On board entertainment\, excursion option\, fresh fruit available on board

Cons: over priced excursions (Roberts has the same options for way less than NCL)\, lack of food variety

Recommends Pride of America? Yes!

Staff were prompt to clean up common area mess and were always painting over dings and dents. We sailed though a tsunami which all but emptied the main pool. WIthin a day it was refilled and the area cleaned (dried) up.
Common buffet was generally good tasting\, but repetitive in selection. Free style dining is great! Did not use specialty restaurant as the menus didn't convince me to pay the extra charges.
Had a welcome aboard cookie dish\, thanks! Inside stateroom was fine for two\, comfortable beds\, enough storage space. Despite being close to the main pool\, I never heard any of the commotion for it inside my room. Conversely\, I couldn't hear any of the PA announcements from inside my room.
Mostly very friendly\, proactive to offer help or information. Some \"newbies\" didn't have answers or knowledge (table service\, settings\, in one restaurant one time). Management level easily accessible to resolve issues
Overall excellent. I was looking forward to the on board golf items advertised\, but never saw or heard anything about them on the cruise. Only shore golf excursions were advertised on board. The \"Jersey Boys\" and Polynesian entertainers were Outstanding!