Pride of America Cruise Review to Hawaii

a top-rate, first-class vacation

Sail Date: February 23, 2008

After reading many of the online reviews of the " Pride of America", I didn't know what to expect. All of the reviews were so conflicting, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. I came on the ship ready to be dissapointed. After spending a week on the ship, I am thrilled to say that it was fantastic!!!!! There was no sign of anything negative. Cabins were spotless and were kept that way by our friendly steward. Every time we left the cabin it had been cleaned and towels were anew. Everynite we had a different towel animal ( offering mints) sitting on our bed. All conmmon areas were clean and spotless as well, and crews were forever polishing and sweeping the halls and stairs. Every crew member that I came into contact with would smile at me and say hello, and even ask "how are you doing?" or "are you enjoying the cruise?" They made me feel as if I was a guest in their home. The ship itself was beautiful, with all the brightly colored American themed areas and photos. A lot of the reviews that I read complained of a sewer odor. There was never a foul odor anywhere that I could smell, and I was all over the ship! Food was fantastic everywhere we ate. Tried a few of the restaurants but found that the food in the Aloha Cafe was just as good with no waiting or hassle (and we could wear our shorts) so we mostly ate there when we were hungry. Clean up service in the cafe was exceptional!! As soon as all the food was gone, the plates were speedily whisked out of our sight like magic, so we could go and get some more food...and such an assortment of foods, it was hard to stop at one helping. All of the shows that we saw were very enjoyable and employed quality talent. The only review that I read that seemed to come true for me was the temperature of the ship. Although each cabin has its own thermostat that can be set comfortuably to ones liking, most of the common areas were freezing!!!!! I sometimes found myself very cold and miserable even with my jacket on. I don't feel that it should be necessary to wear a heavy winter coat on a hawiian cruise. Other than that, the cruise was great and I would jump at the chance to do it all again...of course, next time, I'll know to pack my winter coat and maybe some thermal underwear!!

Pros: friendliness of the staff

Cons: cold, cold, cold temperature of the ship

Recommends Pride of America? Yes!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
A mostly touristy town and somewhat of a waste of your day although we had a nice lunch at the "Kona-brewing Company".
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Kahului, Maui
I do believe that we did " the road to hana" on this island. Fun trip!!
Nawiliwili, Kauai
Beautiful place to visit.
Nawiliwili, Kauai
Beautiful place to visit.
Kahului, Maui
I do believe that we did " the road to hana" on this island. Fun trip!!