Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Norwegian Star - Alaska

Sail Date: September 01, 2007

The cruise was nothing like any I have ever been on before. It was nowhere near as nice as cruises I have taken with other cruise lines. did a fabulous job of getting us a great price and answering all of our questions - they were wonderful. But Norwegian Cruise Line did not meet my expectations. Staff was nice, shows/entertainment was fine - although not as great as other cruise lines, and the ports planned were great. On the negative side, the food was horrible. We rarely left a meal full or satisfied, with the exception of paying a surcharge per person at an onboard restaurant. See, in order to get a good meal, you have to pay extra - above and beyond the thousands you have already put into this trip. That, in my opinion, is not acceptable. The food that did not cost extra was served cafeteria style... and the restaurants where you could sit and not pay a surcharge for a meal, just served the same food that the cafeteria style areas did. My husband and I will probably never cruise with NCL again...

Pros: Ports

Cons: Food

Recommends Norwegian Star? Yes!

Ketchikan, Alaska
We were on an excursion that had us driving around the forest in tomcars (similar to atv or go-kart)... it was great and the guides were so knowledgable and nice - prepare to get wet and a little chilly. It's a bumpy ride - but that's the terrain you are on. It was awesome and I would definately do it again! We also saw the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show - it was also great and I would go again!
Juneau, Alaska
This was a great port. We took a whale watching and wildlife quest boat tour and it was great... lots of humpback whales, sea lions, seals, bald eagles, etc... It was very memorable!
Skagway, Alaska
Glacier Discovery by Helicopter is a must do!!!! It's expensive, but worth every penny! You actually get to go onto the glacier and walk around, discover and learn all about it! Also took the Ghost and Good Time Girls Tour of Skagway... fun - a little risque, but fun - don't bring the kids to this one!