Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Good, but not great

Sail Date: February 06, 2016

This was our third cruise and also our friend's third cruise, but our first one together. This was a great getaway for four people who really needed to get away. We got time to catch up and 7-days wasn't enough for that! Don't get me wrong, we had an enjoyable time but it wasn't an awesome cruise experience. So here are the good, bad and lessons learned, in no particular order.

1. First time in an interior room with no outside light, probably won't do that again it is too easy to sleep through breakfast.

2. Why, if I am on vacation does a sit-down breakfast stop seating at 9 or 9:30?
3. It's nice to have a sit down breakfast, but seriously staff and I don't want to be rushed, but it shouldn't be an 1 1/2 hour affair.

4. Our sink leaked which meant that we couldn't put anything under the sink because it would get soggy and they couldn't get it fixed.

5. I would like to see more varied entertainment in the small venues. Maybe add a comedy act for a couple days, something more than music. Also, no place for quiet conversation.

6. We will cruise later in the season next time, we spent all but 3 out of 7 days inside because it was windy, cold and raining. We could only hang out on deck part of 2 days and then it was difficult getting deck chairs because everyone was sick of being inside.

7. Missed a port because of 'weather.' Not sure if that was a truth or if the issue was we had to use a tender because there were already 3 huge ships docked, so on a beautiful day we sailed by Grand Cayman. Saved a few thousand dollars by doing that, so I guess it was a plus and a minus. Just don't like the feeling that we were told a fib. Also, in Ocho Rios we joked that we parked in 'the ghetto," while the Galaxy of the Seas had prime parking.

8. Never had an issue getting a seat at the show. The shows were not awesome, spectacular events except for the second to the last night, the Elements show. Also, the crew talent show was entertaining.

9. The Spirit is 19 years old and I don't know the last time it was refurbished but the furnishings were a bit tired. Chipped, scratched and beat up. Out bathroom vanity had chunks out of it - how does that even happen?

10. The crew was polite and helpful. Our room steward was ok, but he kept taking the washcloths and not replacing them. I hung them, he didn't need to take them. He also kept taking the pool towels and not replacing them. When we first got to our room we didn't have pool towels, hand towels or wash cloths. Just bath towels. He did wrangle me an extra blanket. Tipped him for that.

11. Beds are hard, like rocks.

12. The free drink package is a great option unless you don't drink at all or very very little. Go see Norman in the Galaxy, he's funny.

13. The fish and chips in the Blue Lagoon are awesome. Yum.

14. Check the menus in the main dining before making reservations in special dining. They are all posted on Deck 12. Cagney's fills up fast, but I actually enjoyed Teppanyaki more.

15. The casino is smokey. Very smokey, I wish they would set aside a space for non-smokers at the slots. I went once, but wouldn't go back because my clothes stunk.

16. Pack an air freshener or two and some febreeze. After 5 days the clothes in the closet tend to not smell as fresh. The little ones you hang in the car are probably adequate.

17. Bring a set of clothes that is one size bigger that you can wear the last night or even elastic waistbands. My pants started getting a bit tight.

18. Don't miss the guacamole in Raffles for snack.

19. We flew in a day early and rented a car to go to Port Canaveral.  For four people it was about $90 less than NCL transportation to the airport, plus we had a way to get to our hotel, Epcot and to pick up a few last minute purchases.

20. Take NCL transportation back to the airport after the cruise, more than renting a car but they have the process down to a science.

21. I almost forgot, bring a hairdryer if it takes more than 5 minutes to dry your hair. The hair dryers will give you a second degree burn if you hold it more than that, they are hot, but don't really blow well.

22. Oh and one more. My Carnival cruises included a robe in the cabin. NCL does not. I didn't bring my robe because I thought there would be one for me to use.

This probably isn't everything, all in all it was a good cruise, but next time will probably look for a newer and maybe bigger ship with more 'stuff.' Did enjoy to adults only area on one of our cruises.

and don't forget

22. Washy, Washy, Happy, Happy

Carpet could use a good edge cleaning. Sink was leaky. The shower was good size. Bring a hairdryer if you have a lot of hair. Outlets are at a premium. No robe included. Beds are hard, but the pillows are soft. It's a place to sleep.
Well run, however a little more information please. If this was my first cruise I would have had no idea what to do with my bags and what it meant to 'pick a time.'
The Spirit needs a refresh. The staterooms and the Galaxy needs some TLC.
We took one excursion in Costa Maya which was awesome, went to the ruins. Missed going to Grand Cayman which was disappointing.
Not really into Karaoke or sexy legs contests. Could go broke playing bingo, there has to be something else to offer people. Would love scrapbooking classes, how about a knitting class, or some other hobby type thing. Something that doesn't involve embarrassing yourself and yes they offer some things, but they were at times when most people are off the ship.
The staff talent show was good. Elements was amazing. The rest was entertaining and never had an issue finding a seat.
I'm easy to please if you are doing your job. Issues that came up were not the staff's fault.
The food was good and I didn't have to cook or clean up.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
George Town, Grand Cayman
The Spirit missed this port and I was very disappointed. It took me a couple of hours to adjust my attitude. Mostly because this is where I had planned to spend $$'s and the store I needed to go to wasn't in Ocho Rios and the selection of other items in Ocho Rios was smaller.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Went to Mama Marley's and it was good, but there is another place that smelled amazing that is right on the street.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
Rent a shade cover if you are going to be there all day or find yourself some shade. Don't burn!

Eat dinner early and then leave yourself open for the late show so you don't feel rushed. You can always get a snack later. Make sure to have the fish and tenders from Blue Lagoon.