Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Florida to Bahamas

Sail Date: July 30, 2006

We were very excited to embark on our first cruise on NCL Spirit. We were disappointed that as per our travel agentw we were not able to upgrade our cabin from inside from the time that we booked as we were led to believe and the cruise was booked solid so we were not able to on the day we departed either. We were also told that our cabin would accomodate 4 people with a queen, trundle, and pull down bunk and that also was not the way it was setup. We did not like the "Freestyle" aspect of dinner because if you didn't make a reservation ahead of time (which we didn't know about since we never has cruised before) you couldn't get a seat in the dining rooms until late at night and with 2 children that wasn't an option which meant we ended up eating at the buffet (which was very disorganized as far as traffic flow). We also didn't know about marking an area by the pool early to ensure a spot throughout the day. I had a great time at the casino and the kids enjoyed the kids programs offered. My daughter and wife went to several of the crafts that were offered. We also would have liked to have had longer time in port. Until the ship passed through clearance - we only had 5 hours in Nassau so if you did an excursion there was very little time to shop. Also we received a confirmation on our excursions and than get to the ship to find out that the kids couldn't swim with the dolphins but only observe which is not what they wanted to do. There was a no cancellation on this excusrion and I was able to sell 2 tickets but not the other 2 so we lost money there and at that point there was nothing else left for us to do.

Pros: The friendliness of the staff and crew

Cons: The freestyle cruising

I was very impressed with the 2 specialty restaurants that we ate at and also the Gardens dining room but all 3 times we ate at Windows the meal wasn't that good and the service was terrible. The buffets were nothing to brag about with food not always being hot unless you had something special made. Breakfast was always crazy because you had only the buffet and Windows as choices.
The stateroom was very cramped for 4 people and not setup the way that we were told that it could be. The mattresses were very thin and the trundle was just like a pad on wheels.
I think that they need to explain things a little better so that people could take advantage of things without coming to it and seeing what was going on and deciding to stay halfway through the program.
My daughter loved the farewell party but was disappointed that they were told that they wouold exchange email addresses and never did.
I loved the many different areas of the ship and the common areas were always very clean and neat. The color coding on the carpet made it easy to tell where you were and to oriet yourself if you were confused.
The staff couldn't have been more friendly. There was only one bartender that wasn't very nice and he seemed to always be having a bad day.
We only shopped but had a great lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
The water and the beach were beautiful until later on when it became really crowded but when we arrived at the beach on Wednesday evening the sand fleas were eating you alive.
Don't Miss: Snorkling
Port Canaveral, Florida
My wife and daughter went to Fun in the Sun and had a great time but my son and I did the Airboat Excursion and that was diappointing bec`ause the airboat made so much noise that it scared all of the alligators away.