Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

First Mate

Norwegian "Sky" lives up to its promises--a good time, cheaply had.

Sail Date: June 21, 2013

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Intent was a quick getaway between the end of my 10 year-old daughter's school and the beginning of summer camp. Former colleague and her group had booked this ship this date--when she quoted the price she paid I had to do it. Got my friend, brother, sister-in-law and nephew to come along. All were first-time cruisers, two over 60 years old. Norwegian delivered a memorable cruise experience for all of us. For me, it was the first cruise I've been on without a problem of some sort. Everything worked. The cabin was well-situated and exactly what was expected despite the ship's age. Bed was firm, comfortable. Great service from our cabin steward. Extras I'd ordered to celebrate a birthday were delivered promptly. Restaurant service was impeccable. Food in MDR was good, unspectacular, nicely presented. Steak came as ordered instead of overcooked. Lobsters on first night were fine as were all other meals. Buffet was adequate, decent selection, breakfast was fine. Birthday dinner at Le Bistro was excellent, notably the rack of lamb and creme brulee. When the Captain came to the table and sang "Happy Birthday" to my sister-in-law she was delighted. It was polite and kind. When he told a story about a boy who was cured of autism by swimming with wild dolphins to my daughter it was sweet AND smart. Which shore excursion do you think she wanted? The crazy Hawaiian theme with the art, color schemes, decor and room names is kind of weird for a ship out of Miami that touches the Caribbean, but it's fun and eye-catching. The White Hot Party was moved into the night club due to inclement weather but it was surprisingly fun even for this old man. Karaoke in the upstairs sports bar was more inviting and less intimidating than on other ships.

Visit to Great Stirrup was sensational. We loved the water slide, the waverunner tour and snorkeling. Barbecue buffet was plentiful, fresh and offered some delicious salads with tropical ingredients. THAT was a surprise. Lack of natural shade trees is commercially solved--the cruise line accepts your money to rent this canvas wraparound chaise lounge enclosure. Nassau visit was short, we went on our own to Ft. Fincastle, Queen's Staircase, Ardastra Gardens (Marching Flamingos!), Straw Market. Had time for a late leisurely lunch at Arawak Cay Fish Fry's most celebrated restaurant, Frankie Gone Bananas. Last night at sea all of us adults won a couple of bucks in the casino (amazing!). My daughter found happiness between the video arcade, pools and hot tubs I was content to relax on surprisingly uncrowded decks, play ping pong, drink and dance.

Cruise Photos

Old and worn but well-maintained and clean.
All the food looks better than it tastes. Which isn't bad, just...uninspired I guess. Nothing to complain, nor write home about. Le Bistro was a passable attempt at upscale French cooking.
Smallish compared to Carnival. Functional and pleasant.
Impeccable service in restaurants, bars. Casino staff friendly without being overly solicitous.
Completely forgettable.
Most parents didn't know there were any.
Loved the White Hot Party
Been to Nassau so many times it's almost like a suburb. You either love it or hate it. We love it and have NEVER been to Atlantis.
Miami, Florida
One of America's best cities to sample Hispanic cuisine from all over Latin America
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas The waverunner tour was worth the big bucks.
We love going to Arawak Cay, Fish Fry. Also to a special beach on the way to Lyford Cay.

The waverunner tour around Great Stirrup was worth the bucks.