Norwegian Sky Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Food and cost

Sail Date: July 04, 2014

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Cabin: GTY

The food was very disappointing.  The service charge was a bit unreasonable for a family on a budget.  We got stuck purchasing drinks on several occasions that we didn't order because no one who worked there spoke strong English, and didn't seem to understand what we were speaking.  It was not a family-friendly ship, as there were very few activities for the families.  Options for swimming included a 5 ft. pool where 8 y.o. were unable to swim as they couldn't reach or a pool that was 2ft.  Most of the activities were after 10p.m.  On the positive side, the cabin crew were excellent and worked very hard to give the children a positive experience.  Splash Academy staff were outstanding.  They contacted me ahead of time to discuss my concerns about my special needs child and they developed a plan to give my child a positive experience.

This is my second cruise, previously on a different cruiseline.  The service charge was much more reasonable.  They had key service people who spoke very good English and if there was a problem, it was much easier to resolve.

We had no money for excursions but the Great Stirrup Cay was awesome.
Miami, Florida
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
We just hung out at the beach. Lunch was a bit chaotic and frustrating so I ended up eating again when I returned to the ship. Providing beach chairs for free was extremely appreciated. The beach was great. I wish they would honor the drinking laws of Bahamas (18).

For a tour of the Nassau island, wait until you get there. The same tour that costs $65 per person was offered by a local taxi driver for $20 per person. For some variety in eating, I would suggest the Longboard Lounge. The flyer states "snacks" but the food is full restaurant style and good.