Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A great getaway

Sail Date: February 13, 2011

This is a beautiful ship, but geared more towards older couples or very young kids (considering they have the Nick Live!). There are basketball courts, a pool table, golf, and ping pong, but it is more geared towards different liquor lounges and many specialty restaurants. I am in my mid 20s and found that I was at the wrong age for the ship. That being said, I was still able to have a wonderful time by the pool, dancing, and food. The service was okay. I like interaction with the staff and they were very quiet. The freestyle dining was different, but okay. Again, I like staff interaction and always found it fun on a cruise to have the same server every night. They get to know you, joke with you, have fun with you. With freestyle you rarely get the same server and it feels like going out to eat at any regular restaurant; a slight bummer for someone who has cruised before. Someone who has never cruised wouldn't know the difference.
The show quality was wonderful, the ship was very clean, and the cruise director and assistant directer were lovely.

Pros: Night Entertainment

Cons: Service

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? Yes!

Food was good. Not outstanding, but I did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants with cover charges. I managed to gain 6 pounds while I was gone, so I guess the food was edible. ;)
I wish they had interacted more. My cabin steward was not the best. I like an extra shower towel and I had to ask for one every single day. From past experiences, cabin stewards would make a point to take a note of this special request. He never provided me and extra towel without me asking.
It really is a beautiful ship. I would only wish that there were a couple less liquor lounges and more active things.
The stateroom was actually very nice. The bathroom was larger than most I've had, and it was an interior cabin. There is no alarm clock, or clock of any kind in the room which was a bit annoying. I like to know the time, even on vacation. So I'd be sure to pack a clock.
The shows were superb. There was a wonderful Cirque show for the final night, and the magician/comedian is definitely not to be missed!
Went snorkeling and it was great! I didn't do much shopping, but I guess shopping is also great in this area.
Port Canaveral, Florida
I went to Universal Studios in Orlando. Always a good time.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
It is just a beach. Very crowded with the entire boat on it. The island is currently undergoing renovations and construction, so possibly in the future it will be okay, but I felt very cramped.