Testing the waters

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Getaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 29, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Getaway

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 10914

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and all our ports. I have sailed RC, Princess, Carnival and now twice on NCL. They all have the good and the better. (I liked them all) What I like the most about NCL are the high quality shows and flexibility in dining. Next cruise is already booked and countdown has started.

Embarkation

This was a breeze. Very little wait and very organized.

Ship experiences

We tried a variety of venues as and booked dinners in advance. Overall the food was great. There was a very slight issue in the main dining room where the pad thai was like cardboard. The staff was nearby and brought me another dish that was tasty within minutes. Great service. All of our meals were served professionally, promptly and with a smile. One suggestion would be to expand the selection of craft beer. We were so thankful to have a decent IPA to choose from, but more variety would be nice. Having said that, we did not have a chance to visit the Beer and Whiskey bar or Syd Norman’s to see if they have more selection. Next time.

The Tropicana Room (Main Dining Room)

Great food and service.

Teppanyaki

This was my favorite meal and dining experience on the ship. Food was yummy (except the green tea cake wasn’t for me, but I’m always willing to try something new), chef was entertaining and meeting people on the first night that we saw over and over again onboard was a delight. It does get loud in there though, so if that bothers you choose one of the other dining venues. I loved it.

Savor Restaurant

Great food, great service.

O'Sheehan's Neighborhood Bar and Grille

Great place for midday (or midnight) snacks, drinks or breakfast. We liked the spinach artichoke dip and the wings.

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Standard French cuisine. Impeccable service. A fine evening.

La Cucina Italian Restaurant

So delicious. We each tried something different and were all pleased.

Garden Café

It’s a buffet. There was plenty of food and variety. A good option when ease and limited time are your priorities.

Mandara Spa

Loved getting pampered. I had two very relaxing massages and a pedicure. I only wish they could have lasted even longer. Perfect.

For me, this is what sets Norwegian apart from the other cruiselines I’ve tried. Wine Lovers the Musical was so fun (and with lots of wine!) we will probably do it again. Million Dollar Quartet was fantastic. We didn’t even get to try half of what was offered. All the shows are of high quality, not “cruiseship” quality.

Howl at the Moon

Very entertaining. Easy for a short person to see with TVs around the room, entertainers were talented and fun. Can play a wide variety of genre. Like any piano bar, bring cash if you want your tune played.

Cirque Dreams & Steam

Wow. So professional and the food was delicious.

They took very good care of us.

A very clean and easy to navigate ship.

Beautiful aft facing balcony. Very clean. Roomier bathroom than on some other aft balconies we’ve stayed in. The closets are a bit of a stretch to get to because the sofa is right in front, but not a problem.

Ship tip

Book dinner, entertainment and excursions in advance. Book spa the first day. Those venues that do not accept reservations, arrive early.

Ports of call

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

Ruins at Chacchoben were so informative and not crowded at all. Our guide was very knowledgeable and we had plenty of time to explore on our own. So glad we did this excursion.

Harvest Caye, Belize

Very nice resort atmosphere. We needed a relaxing morning on the beach and that is what we got. We did the glass bottom boat tour in the afternoon which was a perfect way for my Mom to see the reef. We even got to see an iguana up close on the roof from the balcony of the bar. Nice.

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

No excursion, we winged it and hired a driver. Went to West End for shopping and to see the sights.

Have been to Cozumel several times, so decided to try something different. Salsa and Salsa was surprisingly entertaining. We all had a great afternoon!

New Orleans, Louisiana

We spent a few days in NOLA touring the WW2 museum before. Great museum.

Disembarkation