Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to U.S.

Ship sailed without us

Sail Date: November 01, 2013

My wife and I have never taken a cruise. When I responded to the Marriott ad for an overnight out of NYC\, it seemed like a great way to experience a cruise without a week long commitment. Let me also say that I am absolutely sure the advertisement stated that this cruise was to leave at 6pm. It was a good deal and leaving later meant that I could get my wife after her work in Jamaica Queens (she is a teacher). I setup a weekend in NY after the cruise and have been waiting since July.
The first information I received was to arrive two hours early. Since I already knew that the cruise was at 6pm; then 4pm (the info on the papers) would have been two hours early and I made my plans. After being stuck in NYC traffic getting to the pier\, we arrived at just 3:55. A woman at the pier took our names and then very rudely told us that we could not board since we arrived after 3:00pm. While I understand this woman worked at the pier and not for Norwegian\, she has no business being in a customer service position. I then spent an hour on hold and being transferred by Norwegian on the phone only to end up walking out to the street (my car was already secured in the pier parking for the night).
We then had to find and pay for another night in Manhattan and miss out on the cruise.
When we arrived\, the ship was still docked. I did not know the gangplank was secured over an hour before the ship was to leave. Most of the emails I received about the cruise were to upgrade my dinner reservations\, not time confirmations for novice cruisers. I also noticed that there were three other couples with the same information about arriving at 4pm (one was a NY Post reporter who was doing a story on the cruise for the paper I cant wait to read his review).

Cons: Repeated emails to reserve a high end dinner\, but not enough guidance to new cruisers on when to get to the pier.

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.