Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

enjoyable vacation!!

Sail Date: December 11, 2011

This was our first ever cruise and even though things didn't go as planned, we still thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The shows were very good. The Man from Mars was excellent, the Second City Comedy act was hilarious. Nestor our Room Steward was so nice. He greeted us at every opportunity by name. The crew are very hard workers and very welcoming too. We had a hiccup or two because of an unexpected medical evacuation of a passenger and rough seas on the day to visit the private island but that is not Norwegian's fault. They gave the safety of the passengers priority and it was wise though inconvenient for many. The ribeye and salmon at the smaller sitdown dining room ( i forgot the name) was so good. I ate the salmon 4 times. I didn't love their Martini Bar. The Martinis were fair at best. But I can be a martini snob. Overall the experience was good. We have memories and hope to cruise again.

Pros: very friendly crew, very clean stateroom

Cons: the crowds

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

the buffet was ok. It was kept stocked and clean. but many things lacked flavor. The chocoholics buffet was a disappointment. but the salmon at the Magenta (small dining room) was wonderful.
Cleanliness was excellent. The stateroom was in excellent condition. I think the ship felt alittle small at times but it was from the amount of people. I really liked the theater and all the lounges/bars. The 14th floor sundeck had awesome lounges for two with pillows and a beautiful view. I would stay there all day. One of the best features.
Very nice, very clean, nice sheets, very nice decor. loves the shower with adjustable temperature and pressure. I only disliked that room service charged for pizza.
Nestor was our steward and I only have wonderful things to say about him. He knew all his occupants by name and always said hello. I was very sincere and you could tell that he works very hard. He kept our room spotless Everyone else(waiters, bartenders, managers) were all very kind and patient.
The entertainment was good. I didn't love the singers and dancers but the Man from Mars act was very good. They had two acts and both were amazing and funny. The Second City Comedians were fantastic. I didn't go to the "adult only" shows but they kept their comedy family friendly at the shows I went to and they were amazing at how quick they were with funny comebacks. I love how they made jokes about cruises and all the stupid stuff we do on them. Bravo!