Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

5 Ports in 7 Days

Sail Date: November 01, 2009

I liked the ship! I would like some "non kid areas"; people had their children in clubs and the main dinning room. Even the "adult only" hot tub had children.

Pros: The amount of time in the ports

Cons: Anytime dinning, Really?

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

This was a pretty ship, the main dining room was gorgeous-rich woods, high ceilings, grand staircase. It was easy to find ones way around the ship. We enjoyed the different seating areas with the couches near the pool and the different chairs in the Spinnaker Lounge. I loved Bliss! My travel companion thought it a bit Gothic. It was a bit odd having bowling in a night club....
I do not care for "any time" dinning because one can not dine at any time. Each time we went to the Magenta or Grand Pacific dinning room, there was always a wait. I would rather plan ahead and have a reserved table. The "two for one" drink offer on the "buzzer" was a nice consolation prize. The food was good, not fabulous, but good. Service was a bit slow, no refills on coffee after dinner; I started to order a pot of tea! We really liked "The Great Outdoors" aft; smaller, less crowded and "great" views!
I felt that the staff was rather indifferent. One bartender told us two inappropriate jokes (one sexual and one gay); what was he thinking? He was not Issac Washington!
We stayed on deck 9, forward; the location was good. The stateroom was fine, it was clean, the bathroom was larger than other ships that I have been on; I liked having shower doors.
The music on board was fabulous! We listened to the Classic Spanish Guitar a couple of evenings. The string quartet was equally as good. The pool band was fair to good. Really enjoyed the 2nd City Troupe! Funny!!!!!! I was not impressed with the $55.00 ship tour; actually, I did not go on the tour-who would pay that for a tour of the ship????