Boston to Bemuda aboard Dawn

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Norwegian Dawn

7 Night Bermuda (Boston Roundtrip)

Sail Date: June 29, 2018

Ship: Norwegian Dawn

Review Summary

Overall the cruise did not live up to my expectations. I was looking forward to sailing out of Boston, my local port to save on airfare, etc., however, I ended up spending more and getting less in comparison to other cruises I have taken. I found the ship's size to be just right - easy to get around and quick to get to my room and back if I forgot or needed something. I found the age of the ship to be a negative, as it creaked in the night and kept me awake, public areas needed a deep cleaning (furniture stained, bathrooms not working at 100%, and not as clean as I would have liked). Entertainment was good, as there was always something going on. I wish that I was able to spend more time poolside, however it was a very small area and overrun by teens at times (there was really nothing for them to do during the day, as the Entourage teen club did not open until late night). Food was a disappointment as well. I will likely stick with RCCL on future cruises.

Embarkation

Ship Experiences

Portions in main dining were small. Very limited amount of vegetables provided. Staff was poilite, but service was slow. In buffett, food selection was subpar, often cold. Popular items such as pizza, were never available due to demand. Desserts were bland. Vegetables hard to come by. Buffett seating was plentiful, which was nice to not have to wait for a table to be cleared to sit and eat. Cups were very small for water/juice and coffee was often tasting burnt.

Wide variety of entertainment on board. Trivia, Bingo, Deal or No Deal, Painting classes, poolside contests, NCL White Hot party

The staff was overworked, clearly tired and miserable. They were not engaged with the customers on board, and rarely had a smile. Although they would greet us wtih a quick hello, it was out of obligation. Rumors surfaced that company policy says that they do not get the gratuities that customers think they are getting when prepaying, and that may be part of the reason for discord. It was difficult to get a drink, as bartenders were not quick enough, or motivated to move fast...perhaps because of the unlimited drink packages and resulting decrease in gratuities that stem from prepaying.

I knew I was boarding an older ship, but did expect it to be a little cleaner. The smoke from the cigar room made it impossible for me to enjoy any of the activities in Gatsby's, the lounge/bar area where trivia, etc were held. The public bathrooms left me with an "unclean" feeling every time I used them, and often, toilets would not flush, or had no water in them. The smell of raw sewage that occasionally filled my room was disgusting. Once waking me from a deep sleep. The air conditioning onboard was not up to the task and resulted in stuffiness throughout, and also contributed to a locker room smell in hallways each morning as doors were opened and rooms cleaned for the day.

Lower expectations if you have cruised before

Ports Of Call

Royal Naval Dockyard, West End, Bermuda

Not much to do here. Make sure to have plans to visit other parts of the island. Snorkel Park is a tourist trap. Mini Golf is hard, but a fun change of pace. Shopping is ok, but I wish I had done it elsewhere. Take a mini bus ($7 pp/each way) to Horseshoe Bay, rent a chair and umbrella and do it on your own, not via ship excursion.

Disembarkation