Amazing time minus the smokers 🤢

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Norwegian Breakaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 21, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 8736

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

Overall I had a great time on the cruise minus the following: limited foot options for vegans, constant smell of smoke coming from the casino that overtook other areas of the ship.

Embarkation

Took a shuttle from the hotel and was dropped off right at the terminal. Once in the terminal and through the check in and security process, I was on the ship in less than 40 minutes! Port Canaveral embarkation process moved smoothly and made this first time cruiser very happy to start my vacation off right.

Ship experiences

As a vegan I can say that options were definitely lacking. I did have a difficult time in the dining rooms for most dinners. The worst part of my dining experience was the Manhattan Room for Christmas dinner (we sailed over the holiday). The only option I had was a beet salad that wasn’t every appetizing so I had to resort to other means of food on the ship. Overall they have a large selection of foods. If I could, I would definitely try specialty dining hoping I would have a better dining experience.

There’s a lot to do! Study your freestyle daily and plan out activities that you would like to do. Wish I had more time to experience all the activities NCL had to offer. Great experience for a first time cruiser.

Six and Burn the Floor were excellent productions. Highly recommend you make reservations for both shows.

Our room steward Mervin was awesome!!! Wish I could have him again. Also Ms. Baptise at Syd’s pour house definitely took care of us and gave us a good time. Overall service was great and the wait staff was top notch. Only one incident where it wasn’t so great but other wait staff stepped up to the plate and we hardly noticed it.

The cigarette smoke was awful!!! It really put a damper on the ability to experience the entire ship. The casino (while sailing) was filled with smoke that seem to wafted into other area of the ship. Since the casino is mid ship where the decks are exposed, the smoke with over take other areas. We would find ourselves trying to find other ways to maneuver around the ship just to avoid the cigarette smoke which almost seemed impossible. I also did not spend much time at the pool deck as there was a smoking area just adjacent to the pool. After a while I got tired of smelling smoke. One of my family members had a hard time and was forced to use their nebulizer

Loved the large balcony. Made watching sunsets and sunrises very enjoyable. Room was clean and large enough to accommodate but wish it had a little more storage space. Bathroom was spacious and I loved the shower with the jet sprays.

Ship tip

If you’re asthmatic and have trouble with cigarette smoke, beware of the casino and surrounding areas.

Ports of call

George Town, Grand Cayman

Grand Cayman is beautiful! We arrived on Christmas Day and to my surprise excursions were still available. We went to Stingray City Sandbar which was a really cool experience. Since it was crowded we didn’t get to interact much with the actual stingrays but got some awesome GoPro footage of those swimming around us. Would recommend but with a smaller crowd.

Cozumel was sooooo much fun!! We went to Mr. Sanchos and it did not disappoint. Our waiter Misael was awesome and even brought our drinks down to the water. We took our group over to the pool and had a great time where Julio the bartender make sure to keep the drinks flowing. The food was great as well as the drinks. We had so much fun that we didn’t want to leave. Thank you Shipmate community for suggesting Mr. Sanchos. I plan to go back next year!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Did the Rive Tubing excursion and had an excellent time! Moni and the other crew treated us like family and really took care of us. Even though we were with a sizeable group, it felt intimate and one on one. I definitely recommend if you want a relaxing day with a little bit of thrill. If I ever do back to Jamaica 🇯🇲 I most definitely will do this again!!!!

Disembarkation

We disembarked on deck 7 which was one deck below our cabin which turned our to be very convenient. We decided to self disembark by taking our own bags off the ship. We were routed to the line that allowed us to exit the ship. The only issue I had is that they shuttled us through the casino which was smoked filled. Traveling with family that suffers from asthma and cigarette smoke being a trigger, this was a major concern. Once we made our way, our key cards were scanned as well as photos for facial recognition with Customs. Overall a pretty easy disembarkation process. Compared to the horror stories I’ve read in the reviews, our process was smooth.

Traveler Photos