Lots of People, lots to do, good food

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Bahamas & Florida (New York Roundtrip)
Sail Date: April 17, 2016
Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

This is the 2nd time I've taken this cruise (during April school vacation).  Both times I had my teenage (13, then 14 year old daughter). The main reason I took it the 2nd time was because she had so much fun last year.  Entourage, the teen club, is great/kids seem to love it (I rarely saw my daughter!)

The ship is huge, which I didn't think I'd like, but I turned out being fine with the size, primarily because it offers you so many options in terms of things to do.

I got both the unlimited beverage package and specialty dining package this year, and both are, in my opinion, great.,  I tried 5 specialty restaurants: Cagney's, La Cucina, Teppanyaki,  Moderno, and Le Bistro.  I did end up paying for one of them, since the package only includes 4 nights, which I hadn't noticed.  La Cucina was my favorite and Le Bistro my least favorite.  Would I bother paying extra for them?  Probably not, since the food in the free restaurants is surprisingly good.  Be sure and check out the noodle bar some night, as well as the small lunch buffets at Moderno. O'Sheehans has good,late night, post-drinking food (wings, burgers, and great fries).

The main pool area is crazy crowded, but a good alternative for adults is H2O on deck 16.  I also think that paying for a week's pass to the thermal suite is well worth it (access to a quiet, indoor, adults-only therapy pool, hot tubs, saunas, steam bath, salt room, showers, and my favorite--the heated tile lounge chairs).

Shakers martini bar is very nice (try the cucumber basil martini), and the music in Fat Cats (Blues/Jazz) is good.

I'm not a fan of the ports (Cape Canaveral and Nassau), but Cocoa Beach  (Cape Canaveral) and the Blue Lagoon (island in Nassau) were both nice.  Norwegian's private island is nice, but crowded/takes quite a while to get off the ship since they only had 2 tenders going.

All in all, if you can get a decent price and live anywhere near New York, it's a fine place to take your kids on school vacation.  Would I go without kids?  Probably not.

Don't know about young kids' programs, but my teenage daughter LOVED Entourage!

Most of the crew is very nice, but some (bar area in Atrium, in particular) can be downright hostile.

This was supposed to be a 'mini-suite', but as far as I can tell, the only increase from a balcony was the bathroom--shower was much better/bigger than the balcony cabin shower I had last year.

If you really want to book something on board, it's good to do so before the trip on NCL.com or very early on the cruise, since there are a ton of people on the ship.