Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Bermuda

Bigger but not better.

Sail Date: August 02, 2015

Our group of 16 sailed the Norwegian Breakaway from NY on August 2nd.  Dinner the first night was a nightmare.  When we arrived to dine, we were told that the wait was 25 minutes.  , an hour and a half later, the place was a zoo of angry and hungry passengers.  The staff seemed totally unprepared for the onslaught of guests.  It occurred to us that freestyle dining was not suited to ships with over 4000 passengers.  The customer service aboard the Breakaway was lousy.  From miscommunication with the agents to the customer service reps onboard, I got the sense that the staff doesn’t all read from the same playbook.  Either are too few staff meetings or there is a language barrier because an international crew is used.   When I asked a basic question, I either received different answers to the same question from several customer service reps onboard or was dismissed with a “go stand on that line” to have my question answered.  On the plus side, there were a lot of activities and the ship was beautiful and kept immaculately.  The food was pretty good - I have tried Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Queen Mary - I found the offerings tasty and the selection diverse onboard the Breakaway.  Overall, we had a good time because we were determined to make the most of the trip in spite of the abovementioned issues but we collectively decided not to book for 2016 when we will probably have an even larger group.

Food was good but the ship was too large to accommodate freestyle dining. The waiting was ridiculous.
Service and staff was not knowledgeable or courteous. Had a few disputes. One ended in a shouting match because they wanted to charge for a cake decorating class that they rescheduled and didn't notify me for.
Some of the singing talent was sub-par but overall, we enjoyed the shows and the singer/guitarist Angel was a real gem
Children's Programs We didn't have any small children with us so I can't comment.
We liked docking in Bermuda for three days. More time to enjoy the island.
Beautiful interior design and kept very clean.
No problems with embarkation or disembarkation.
Cabins are not very spacious but was kept clean. The television viewing choices were limited. I don't go on vacation to watch TV, but when I awoke I did put on the TV until I was ready to get out of bed. The channels are very limited and the movie change has not guide info so you don't get to see the title of the movie. I've never encountered a set up like this. You can opt for Pay-per-view though, if you wish.

Book everything in advance. Ask a lot of questions and get names of staffers. Ask to speak with a manager if the staff is dismissive.