Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Second Mate

good cruise, not the best

Sail Date: November 02, 2014

Second time on the NCL Breakaway. Nice ship but for wife and I, far too big. We like the quaintness of the smaller ships like Dawn and Gem. We were gonna go to their private island. 2nd time trying to do this, the first being a week before Hurricane Sandy. Last time you could understand why they had to pass on the island but this time they cancelled too. This time for wind. Wind? Seriously? It's an island in the middle of the ocean, there's always wind. From investigating further, crew told me 50 percent of the time island is canceled so don't go on this cruise just for island. Odds are you won't go. Ship was full, people everywhere, many of low class. thats what happens when prices drop well below 400 for a cabin per person. Saw the difference in clientele rather quickly.

Went to Nassau again, 2nd time as well. 1st time went to Atlantis which was nice, and took water shuttle so never really saw the rest of the city, but this time I went to beach near port. Now I got to see what the Bahamas is really about and you know what? Compared to Bermuda, Bahamas is the buttcrack of Bermuda. Trash everywhere, sidewalks crumbling so you gotta watch where you walk. Buildings rather dumpy and locals hounding you to buy stuff---doesn't happen in Bermuda. So no more Bahamas, I'll stick with Bermuda, a favorite of mine, if you couldn't tell.

Oh, and for ship itself? Food, crew and it all was fine, what I expect from NCL, which is my favorite cruise line.

go to smaller rstatuants offering complimentary food for breakfast and steer clear of garden cafe. buffets there are good and virtually empy compared to maain cafe each morning
big ships like Breakway have less shows, smaller ships have free shows each night
New York, New York
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
didn't go, yet again. captain did get us to Nassau earlier thana planned though

Rock of ages is a good show, but get on ship and make free reservation immediately. theater cant hold everyone on ship so even of you don't know you're gonna go, grab your seats. if you don't go, then just don't go. show is an hour and 45 min. a real Broadway show so get comfortable.