Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Bermuda

Second Mate

3 Days in Bermuda from NYC

Sail Date: June 23, 2013

My cruise was to celebrate my grandson's 13th birthday. We chose the Breakaway based the fun things to do. Fortunately, my grandson enjoyed the cruise immensely, so that is why I rated it as 2 stars. Unfortunately, for my wife & I who are serious cruisers, NCL is lacking in services, dining, entertainment and customer relations. If a couple over the age of 25 wants an enjoyable cruise, don't cruise with NCL. If you are a young family with toddlers, I think of NCL as a Carnival value which attempts to compete with Disney cruises, but fails in quality.

The cabins are tiny, have a micro-balcony sized for 2 chairs facing each other with a few inches to stretch out. If you you like dining with other guests to talk about and share experiences during the day, choose a line that has set dining times, not the crazy anytime dining. One time I invited two additional guests to our table and waited 30 minutes. Poor services! Some of the entertainment is additional charge and is variable in quality from poor to OK. if you like to have wine and drinks, expect to pay $9 per mini pour.

To put the icing on the cake, they closed one of the pools to teens, causing my 13 year old grandson to swim with the toddlers. I submitted a complaint.......never got a response. The next night, we were in the adults only area and all sorts of kids were there; special night....several teens were drunk. I submitted another complaint and guess what. Yep, never responded. Soo....... if you're a serious cruiser wanting quality and value and expect something similar to Princess, Holland America, or Royal Caribbean, you will be very disappointed. I expect I will never cruise with NCL even if they gave me a week for free.

If you enjoy Carnival, this may be for you. But if you like cruising with 4,500 other people on a ship designed to handle about 3600 maximum, book with another cruise line.