Sail Date: May 08, 2013 Ship: Norwegian Breakaway Cabin Type: Balcony Cabin Number:12748 Traveled As: Couple Reviewed: 5 years ago
I sailed on the 2 day inaugural out of New York city last week. It was great to take a cab from my apartment and be boarding the ship 20 minutes later. Overall, this is a really well thought out ship (a resort, really) and there is a lot to like. Specifically:
- Compared to most cruise ship entertainment, Rock of Ages was a blast. I loved the music. Note, this is an ADULT show...it does get a little racy:)
- The food at Moderno Churascarria was delicious, easily the best meal I had onboard. Surprisingly, the buffet was better than I expected..and I rarely waited in line for food.
- New Yorkers love their coffee and will not be disappointed. Lavazza is served everywhere.
- The decor is modern and tasteful. Not exactly 'W Hotel', but very contemporary and well done.
- I thought the ropes course would be boring...until I got up there. It is actually quite fun, and not for the faint of heart. Still regret not walking the plank - don't chicken out like I did. The climbing wall was also fun.
- Nightlife - people were partying past 1am on the first night. Deck 8 felt like a block party with people bar-hopping and gambling.
If Norwegian can address these improvements, they will have a hit on their hands.
- Food in the main dining rooms was mediocre. I tried Taste and Savor - both were disappointing.
- The balcony in my room was tiny. I could barely stretch my legs to look out to the view
- Where is the deli? or Bagel shop? If you want a ship for New Yorkers, we need bagels (preferably from H&H:) ).
- $40 to hang out in the Salt room is a bit rich. Now, throw this in with a spa treatment and I'll be interested.
*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.
Every Wednesday you'll receive the latest articles, deals, and news from the Cruiseline.com team, plus tips and photos submitted by our vibrant community of diehard cruisers. You'll also get a free gift — a downloadable, printable PDF of our guide to cruising!
Sign up for weekly cruise deals.
Join other subscribers and get the best cruise deals of the week in your inbox every Thursday.