Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Cruise to Nowhere

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

Good times on a Resort at Sea

Sail Date: May 08, 2013

I sailed on the 2 day inaugural out of New York city last week. It was great to take a cab from my apartment and be boarding the ship 20 minutes later. Overall, this is a really well thought out ship (a resort, really) and there is a lot to like. Specifically:
- Compared to most cruise ship entertainment, Rock of Ages was a blast. I loved the music. Note, this is an ADULT show...it does get a little racy:)
- The food at Moderno Churascarria was delicious, easily the best meal I had onboard. Surprisingly, the buffet was better than I expected..and I rarely waited in line for food.
- New Yorkers love their coffee and will not be disappointed. Lavazza is served everywhere.
- The decor is modern and tasteful. Not exactly 'W Hotel', but very contemporary and well done.
- I thought the ropes course would be boring...until I got up there. It is actually quite fun, and not for the faint of heart. Still regret not walking the plank - don't chicken out like I did. The climbing wall was also fun.
- Nightlife - people were partying past 1am on the first night. Deck 8 felt like a block party with people bar-hopping and gambling.

If Norwegian can address these improvements, they will have a hit on their hands.
- Food in the main dining rooms was mediocre. I tried Taste and Savor - both were disappointing.
- The balcony in my room was tiny. I could barely stretch my legs to look out to the view
- Where is the deli? or Bagel shop? If you want a ship for New Yorkers, we need bagels (preferably from H&H:) ).
- $40 to hang out in the Salt room is a bit rich. Now, throw this in with a spa treatment and I'll be interested.

Cruise Photos

Very modern and contemporary
Main dining room NOT great
Awesome service
Rock of Ages was a blast