Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Third Mate

What I think of the Nieuw Amsterdam

Sail Date: November 30, 2014

The cruise was alright in spite of the fact we hit high winds and could not be tendered into our first port, Half Moon Cay. You cannot control the weather. The ship was nice but I prefer bigger ships with grand atriums.  The staff was excellent, food was good. I feel that the ship lacks entertainment and things to do especially when you cannot go to port for three days.  The showroom entertainment was absolutely awful; however,  the Island Steel Band and the group in the Queens Lounge were very good. Even though food was good, I prefer buffet style with many selections, not cafeteria style where they ration food and you have to constantly have to ask for more. The main dining room was very good and service was excellent. We hand anytime dining and were always seated quickly. The rooms I feel  could be a little more soundproof.  I realize you cannot control the rudeness of the big mouth in the hall at 7 am but I should not have to hear my next door neighbor through the walls.

This was our first Holland America cruise.  All in all it was ok.  Would I cruise again on HAL, not too likely.

Now for Cruiser.com.  I am very disappointed.  A few days before we left I had seen that the prices had dropped substantially from what we had paid.  Upon inquiring about this I was told that the manifest had already been turned in but that the ship would be notified for an upgrade and that I should then speak to the office upon boarding.  I did just that and lo and behold there was nothing from Cruise.com.  Therefore, we received nothing even though the ship was not full.  I later learned that there were people who booked directly with Holland America who saw what I did and when they went to the office received REFUNDS in cash for the room price difference because of the direct booking.  So lesson learned, book directly with the cruise line.