Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

First RCCL Cruise

Sail Date: February 02, 2013

How should I begin? To start, I had reserved a wheelchair accessible room for 4 people. We were taking my 89 year old mother on her first cruise. I heard so many great things about RCCL. However, 4 weeks prior to our sailing, my mom got the flu and passed away. We decided to go ahead with the cruise in her memory but low and behold RCCL said we could not keep the room since no one was wheelchair bound. They were not accommodating or compassionate at all with our situation. So we had to cancel our reservation and then rebook. We asked that our room be set up for 3 separate beds. When we arrived it was set up for one. Went to customer relations and they said it would be taken care of. Located cabin steward (who was magnificent to us) and he never got the instructions - but he took care of it for us.

When we got to the terminal it was kaos. Super Bowl and Mardi Gras was going on and the cruise line told us to arrive no later than 10:30 a.m. which we did - oh my word! After we finally got to park and check in - which went smoothly - we were herded into a waiting room. Instead of letting people go aboard when there was no line they made everyone wait for Crown passengers. I understand that but if you have no line you should let others go to keep embarkation going. This procedure needs to be reviewed.

Food on board was sub-standard to the other cruise lines I have been on. I realize that a new menu was being implemented and will give RCCL the benefit of the doubt that it was due to that. Most of the food was prepared to my satisfaction.

I guess my biggest complaint was the lack of compassion to our situation when my mom could not longer sail with us. I know the cruise lines upgrade and they could have considered that due to our situation.