MSC Melody (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Could Be Better

Sail Date: June 30, 2007

Room Type: Suite

The ship was old, but very clean. Most of the staff were very friendly. The dining staff could use some more training. The food was average. Not what I expected from an Italian cruise line. I didn't gain any weight, in fact, I lost six pounds. I think that is from all of the walking. I didn't go hungry, but I could have eaten more. I heard the same remarks from other passengers. More work needs to be done on the tours. The Tunis shopping tour was pure entrapment. The walking was unbelieveable. Buses could be waiting as you come from the ship to take you to your destination for the tours. This happened on one tour. Others we had to walk and walk before we even got to our transportation to start a tour. I will look for other cruise lines in the future.

Pros: The cabin service

Cons: C harging 2.50 euros for every soft drink. When there are children, it becomes very expensive. Other cruise lines have a wrist band that you can purchase for usually $25.00 and they can drink all they want. This is fountain drinks.

Recommends MSC Melody (RETIRED)? No.

The dining staff could improve. They were not very friendly. The last night and breakfast, they acted like they were doing us a favor to wait on us.
Very poor. I have seen high school performances much better than what I saw on the Melody.
Our grandchildren did enjoy Pluto's House.
St. Tropez, France
Very expensive. A coke was $6.00. It is a quaint town. Lots of wealth. We rode in a carriage with a bicycle attached. We saw the harbor with many boats. If you are there, you should see it.
Tunis, Tunisia
This was some experience. I felt like I was in a "B" grade movie drama. The trip to the market, even though one area was an entrapment, is a must. We wound through many alleys and saw many different wares for sale. I purchased a very nice leather case. It was fun bargaining with the salesman. Don't ever pay first price. Go with a group!!!
Don't Miss: Tunis Market
Barcelona, Spain
We took the city tour and it was awesome. The guide knew her information and everything went off on time. This tour gives you an overview of the city. We saw many monuments and churches.
Naples, Italy
I took the tour to Capri. Lots of walking, but a very interesting place to go. Our guide was not good. I think it may have been her first day. My husband took the Pompeii tour and he said it was fantastic. The staff on the ship discouraged anyone from taking that tour, but my husband and son said it was the best. They had lunch at a pizza parlor in Naples. Of course, they had pizza. It was made in a brick oven with wood for a fire. Walter Kronkite had eaten there and the owner was very proud of this fact. Have a pizza in Naples, that is where it all started.
Don't Miss: Pompeii and a pizza in Naples
Ibiza, Balearic Islands
I guess if you are a party person, this is the place to be from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. We aren't party people and we went ashore at 9 a.m. and the place was dead. This was one stop they could take from the cruise.
Messina, Sicily
We did not take a tour with the ship. We hired a taxi which was cheaper and he was a great tour guide. He took us to Taromina, let us shop for a couple of hours and was there to pick us back up. This is a place I would definitely want to go back to.
Don't Miss: Taromina