Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Wait till after they renovate this ship!

Sail Date: January 31, 2011

This ship is going into drydock in the spring. After that happens it should be much cleaner and they should have the plumbing situation under control.

The majority of the crew was fabulous. Friendly, willing to help- often greeting me as I walked by even if I didn't initiate a conversation. They really went out of their way to anticipate needs and meet them. They also seemed happy. They seemed to work well together and often were singing while doing their work. Nice.

I have cruised many times but this is my first (and probably my last) with RCI. The ship is still taking reservations until dry dock several months from now and it is dirty-- really dirty--and very worn. In fairness it is their oldest ship and one cannot expect everything to appear new, but clean is possible. Quite frankly I don't think "old" is synonymous with" filth".

Specific examples: Dishwasher doesn't appear to be working well and I had plates with food still on them and a coffee cup with lipstick on it (I don't wear iipstick), floors in the public area bathrooms were not well cleaned- I don't mean it wasn't mopped, I am talking about grime that has built up over time-, my cabin ceiling was covered with marks and soil, the bathroom floor and shower floor in my cabin were really dirty- down in the "grain" of the flooring. This is probably due to plumbing problems since I often found the shower stall covered with wastewater that would sit for long periods of time- making the it unusable. I was told there were nice showers in the fitness area. Wastewater also leaked into the hallways and the carpet was wet. Carpets in common areas are covered with stains throughout the ship. Tables in the Windjammer were often left with food on them- they were bussed but not wiped down on many occasions. Lawn chairs were broken and very soiled. I could go on but you can get the picture.

Pros: The crew on this ship were the best I have ever experienced. Embarkation and Debarkation were quick, efficient..

Cons: Ship is not clean. Dishwasher doesn't appear to be working well, Serious plumbing problems.

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

Quality is good in the dining room. They charge extra for steaks now which I was surprised to see. No more lobster dinner, but hey- everyone has had to tighten their belts these days. Chef went out of his way for special requests and dining room staff was wonderful. Windjammer could use some help- food was often left-overs from the night before which isn't a problem if its good, but some of it was not- it was old and at times tasted a bit off. No ice near the drink dispensers- you had to walk through the crowds to one spot to get ice. Bit of a pain. Silverware was not on the tables and you had to search for places where it was kept- often on a different floor.
RCI would be better served to drydock this ship now or move passengers to another ship rather than lose business (only my humble opinion). I know they lost mine at no fault of the outstanding crew. Old ship and the layout shows this- if you need to use the restroom you may have to go up and down flights of stairs to find one (even near the dining rooms).
Interior cabin, 2nd deck. Small, but that is to be expected. The commedian called the 2nd deck the ghetto. He was right. Poorly maintained, filthy room.
What you would expect. A couple of "broadway" type shows, good commedian. Choices for activities were limited and not to my liking. Hard to find a quiet place to read- music blares everywhere.
The absolute best with the exception of our cabin steward who didn't want to do anything that was requested (I had to ask for soap, he became defensive argumentative when he was politely asked to separate two beds that were put together as one, etc.) And one who shoved a drink at me when I couldn't hear him over the din of music. I didn't want it.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
You can get off the ship and wander around, find a nice beach chair. Buffet is provided without charge. Activities were steep- had to pay extra for fins if you decided to snorkle. . .
Typical for the islands. Lots of people hawking wares. Straw market is a make-shift affair since the fire but a new building is being built. Enjoyed visiting with the islanders. Friendly lot. Was approached to buy marijuana just outside the entrance to the dock area, but not pushy. Nice beach within walking distance at a hotel nearby to the right of the dock if you are looking from the deck of the ship.
Don't Miss: Don't take your kids to the restaruant at the dock near the straw market. The cute frog is not meant for children. It is more like spring break on steroids! Great place for adults to party.