Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Will not sail this ship again

Sail Date: May 29, 2009

This was not my first cruise, but it will be the last on this ship. The service left a lot to be desired. The waiters seemed either bored or were pushy. The exception was one waiter who was totally fantastic...he remembered our names and bent over backwards to make our vacation great...he even served us drinks in the pool! I'm not a snob about service, but I expect basic courtesy from anyone who has chosen hospitality as their profession. The guest relations desk was where we encountered the worst of the service, which was surprising and especially disappointing since my companion was cruising for the first time. The poor quality of the food is the main reason for my negative review. It was truly awful, and we experienced major stomach issues by day 2....thankfully, it was only a 3 day cruise! I don't know if Royal Carribbean just doesn't try as hard on the quick cruising smaller ships or what, but I've had much better food on previous short cruises on other cruiselines. The only exception to this point was the room service menu...we gave that a try on day 3 and it was good. Many people we talked to on the cruise had the same opinion, and were experiencing the same stomach issues from the food in both the dining room and the buffet. Embarkation and disembarkation were ridiculous! We expected the process to be very efficient, since the cruiseline runs this ship out every week, but it was utter chaos and the staff was flustered, borderlining on unprofessional.

Pros: Pool side service

Cons: Food

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

We had fun at the straw market (you have to be good at bargaining, or you will be taken for all you're worth!), and we layed out at the Hilton hotel next to Senor Frogs...had a great time!
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
It looked like fun, but since there was weather in the morning, the captain didn't let anyone off the ship until 1pm. There was an hour wait to get to the island, and you had to be back on the ship at 4pm. We felt it would be a bit of a waste to stand in line for an hour to get there, and who knows how long to get back on the ship, just for an hour on the island...where they were charging full price for all of the activities anyway. We opted for the pool instead!