Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

"Cruise for a Beginner"

Sail Date: December 10, 2007

Since my wife had never taken a cruise before, this was a wonderful opportunity. She got a chance to experience what cruising is about in fairly "normal" waters. Monarch of the Seas is a very well maintained ship and the well planned. Most of the staff is excellent and together this presented a great experience for my wife. I did wonder why they dressed up the Cruise Director as a "pimp" as it reflects poorly on the Royal Caribbean line. He didn't appear very comfortable in his presentations as he kept repeating himself over and over throughout the cruise. The entertainment varied...enjoyed the comic but the main entertaiment was subpar. Their dancing and energy levels were terrific but the production could have been so much better. As a consequence, I would rate the entertainment not up to what I'd expect, however, my wife loved it. Who knows? The staff normally goes the extra mile and surprises occur often. Great cruise to get your sea legs. The ship is small enough to get around, well appointed and comfortable.

Pros: Well maintained ship

Cons: Entertainment

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Excellent. Obviously the staff cares about this ship. Good size for the cruise and seemed to be "just right" for our needs.
Food and waiters were well above average. Of course, it was one of the highlights of the trip. Had to shift dinner times and the staff was more than gracious. Food everwhere was very good and the bars and wait staff first rate.
Adequate....no, it was comfortable. plenty of space and the window was fine. Tastefully done with furniture that didn't look like it came from a Scandanivan furniture store. The Stateroom attendant was first rate. Loved the 7th deck...very convenient.
All were great except the cruise director who tried too hard and presented a questionable image. For the others, I felt they aways were one step ahead of me so everything worked "better than planned." I enjoyed being part of their "community" with their welcoming spirit and attitude.
Entertainment in all locations was good. The only concern I had was the main performance for Opening and Closing nights. They sand and danced an upbeat program which got somewhat boring. If you like choreography, you would like this but the selection of songs and singers made for an uneven program.
Had a children's program but since we didn't bring kids, I cannot comment on it. However, the kids seem very happy and were always busy. No grim faces here. The kids were well mannered and not running all over the ship...perhaps because of their activities.
San Diego, California
Saw very little here since we had been here before. Enjoyed the old town part.
Ensenada, Mexico
Shopping, culture, sightseeing, evironment...all worthwhile as an adventure. Just a fun place for those open minded enough to accept differences.
Don't Miss: The shopping
Catalina Island, California
Tad cold but fun. Just a pleasant island to explore. It is pretty much a tourist island where you can do alot. However, it was too late in the year for "water" activities which are big on the island.
Don't Miss: Casino
Catalina Island, California
Don't Miss: Casino
Ensenada, Mexico
Don't Miss: The shopping
San Diego, California
Saw very little here since we had been here before. Enjoyed the old town part.