Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

My first cruise

Sail Date: May 26, 2008

Beautiful ship

Pros: Big ship, pretty good food and pretty good service too

Cons: Room service took a while to get whenever you called, leaving on the last day took like 2-3 hours

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Certain foods were REALLY good, but most were just good or ok. Desserts could've been better. Not too much variety but it's free so no complaints on that.
We got interior and it was REALLY small and has no windows so you never knew what time it was. PITCH BLACK once you turned off all the lights by the way. I would NOT suggest trying to cram in four people in that room because it was hard even for just me and my boyfriend. The bed was REALLY comfortable. Pretty clean overall.
Our main dining waitor was really nice and funny. I had really high expectations on the service because my uncle had raved about it but I didn't really see any "above & beyond" service. They were all nice and a couple times a little more than normal service, but overall just good.
I did a massage for $80 and it was ok. If you really want to get a massage on the cruise ship, try to get the cheapest deals because it wasn't all that great. We went to the gym once and it was nice and clean. Basketball court was only half court so my boyfriend was a little bummed with that. Pool was nice, not as big as I thought it would be but nice. Other than that, we didn't really have time or sometimes energy to do the other activities.
BIG ship, nice layout, very clean, no complaints
Ensenada, Mexico
Didn't do any excursions but it was kind of like TJ except not as nothing that I can recommend.
San Diego, California
I live in Orange County so I've been to San Diego many times so we didn't do any excursions but one thing I do recommend is to see Coronado Island and the famous hotel.
Don't Miss: Coronado Island
Catalina Island, California
Not as a rich island as I expected it to be. I felt Coronado was better than Catalina. We went kayaking and snorkeling in Catalina. Kayaking was just fun because you're on a kayak! But the sites were ok...could've been better. Snorkeling was ok too. Worse than kayaking actually. Only saw like 3 fish and lots of kelp. Instructors weren't very helpful too.