Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

My first Cruise Experience

Sail Date: July 23, 2007

This was a great way to experience crusing for the first time. Overall, it was a good experience. There were many daytime activities, most of which were related to families with children. Unfortunately, there were lots of families that took their children to the pool and then left leaving staff to supervise and control some of the more unruly kids aboard. Evening activities were more adult oriented. The stage productions were well done in the Sound of Music Theater.Staff was excellent and attended to every . Particularly attentive were the Stateroom Attendants. I did not eat once in the dining room as the Windjammer Cafe was very comfortable, very friendly staff, and abundant food. The casual atmosphere in the Windjammer is more my style, although I understand Claude's Dining Room was exceptional.

Pros: Great service by every staff member

Cons: Lack of relaxing space except in a bar atmosphere

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

I understand the Ship was commissioned in 1991 and has been refurbished. The Centrum is attractive. The is a lack of space to sit and read a book or "people watch" unless you sit in a bar atmosphere. The Ship is very clean.
For a family, this cruise is well prepared to accomdate. As an adult that does not drink, the activities are limited until night time. Parents need to be present for their children at the Pool and not leave them for Staff to organize and supervise (certainly this is not an issue with the "Monarch" or their staff).
For those looking for a casual dining room, the Windjammer is great. Abundant food that tastes VERY good, attentive staff, and a great place for groups to eat and converse.
My Stateroom was 121 square feet. The bed was comfortable and the Attendants outstanding. Even though I used the Stateroom for dressing, showering and sleeping, I will look for a little larger Stateroom next time.
The attentiveness of the Staff is probably the Monarch's best attribute!!! Most recognized me after the first and remembered my name. Pretty amazing when you think about how many people were aboard.