Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

My first cruise!

Sail Date: May 08, 2009

This was my first cruise ever! Initially I had other vacation plans but it fell through and I was able to find a last minute cruise deal to the Bahamas on the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas. The inside of the ship was very nice, not as grand as some of the other ship's pictures i've seen on the website...i guess this is a smaller ship or something. Took some time to explore the ship. The gym area was bright and clean. The pool deck was already filled with people. The pools were very small though, and one of them was drained. There were too many people in the small pool so that wasn't too appealing. They had a free softserve machine by the pool area. That was awesome!Our room was comfortable and clean and we were warmly greeted by the stateroom attendants on our deck. It took a long time for our luggage to arrive at our room, so we missed the main dining time at 6pm. No biggie, we just checked out the buffet instead. The food was pretty good. They had a build your own risotto bar where the chef cooks it for you on the spot. That was super delicious. However, the desserts were a disappointment. Pretty much everything was bad other than the ice cream. Believe me when I say I got one of each on the desserts. They had the best ice cream though. The ship docked at 2 locations: CoCoCay the first day, then Nassau on the 2nd day. From 8-4:30pm you can leave the ship. I think they should extend that time to at least 7pm or soemthing. I felt like I couldn't sleep in because I have to take advantage of the time on shore. But they have activities that go on into the night and then you have to wake up early the next day. I felt like I didn't get to relax as much as I wanted on this trip. The main dining was pretty cool, although I didn't have a good first impression as we were not greeted at all upon arrival for dinner. We had to walk around and look at different tables until we found our assigned table numbers. Our waiter and assistant waiter were very friendly. The food was hit or miss. Some dishes were good while others tasted like cafeteria food. The desserts were better in main dining vs buffet, but were still mediocre. For the most part I had a good time. There were so many activities going on that there was never a dull moment, but also I felt rushed at times. One big complaint we had was that there wasn't convenient availability of free have to go to the buffet area to get free drinks. There was a cafe by all the shops but it did not offer anything that wasn't extra charge. We thought that they should at least offer some free coffee and tea since its right next to a lounging area. We also witnessed a couple rude staff members, one of which was directly rude to us when we wanted to ask some questions. Another one was rude to a guest when she didn't understand the staff member's answer to her question. I also did not like the way they make you leave the ship on the last day. They pretty much make everyone leave the ship by 8-9am, leaving no time to really enjoy breakfast while having to go pick up duty free merchandise in the morning. I felt really rushed and tense, it really put a damper on the end of the trip. I'd say the trip overall was hit or miss. But my ultimate goal was to get away and get some sun...which I I still had a good time.

Pros: All you can eat food; comedy shows

Cons: Lack of availability of free beverages; not enough time at the ports

Recommends Majesty of the Seas? Yes!

Generally good food and lots of selection. Disappointed on the desserts. Awesome ice cream.
Some people were very nice (stateroom staff/housekeeping/dining staff). Some were very rude.
The comedy shows were great and hilarious! One complaint is that they scheduled shows during dining hours so we had to miss a couple...
The ship was really nice and clean in general. The only complaint is that every public toilet I used had problems flushing...not a fun thing to deal with!!
Smaller than I imagined but it was very comfortable and clean! The stateroom staff constantly cleaned our room...I was impressed!
Take the ferry to Paradise Island. The Atlantis Hotel is huge! Definitely need to check it out (especially "The Dig"). We walked to another public beach area (since Atlantis's beach is private). The water was GORGEOUS! Clean and crystal blue.
Don't Miss: Public Beach area by the Riu Hotel on Paradise Island (need to take taxi/ferry to Paradise Island)
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
The BBQ was awesome! Lots of lounge chairs. The water was a little dirty and the sand was quite rocky. Great for lying under the sun but maybe not playing in the water.
Don't Miss: the BBQ lunch buffet