Great time, other than two issues everyone should be aware of

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

5 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: March 23, 2015
Ship: Liberty of the Seas

The cruise ship was amazing.  It was very clean and the food was very good.  The activity was constant and all the staff were extremely nice.  Royal Caribbean has a lot of positives, compared to Carnival.  We have cruised with Carnival 10 times but wanted to try Royal Caribbean so this was our first cruise with them.  However, I was terribly disappointed in two issues that I experienced on Royal Caribbean.  First, on two separate occasions while on the same cruise, I was told that I had to leave the adult pool area for a private function.  Royal Caribbean literally made the business decision to close off a high traffic area for a private party, which I'm sure they were paid well for doing it.  I was made to feel as if I was not as important as some of the other guests.  This was not for repeat cruisers to have a party.  This was for a group of people that paid to rent this section for a period of time.  Being that I paid for the usage of the ship, I felt as if I wasn't important to Royal Caribbean at that moment.  The greed of Royal Caribbean to make that decision was a bad business decision, in my opinion.  Second, I had my waitor ask me to wait a moment before leaving the supper table so he could have a discussion with my family.  This happened two days prior to the end of the cruise.  He told my family that the tips we paid up front, he only got a small piece of.  He explained that it was important for us to understand that he hoped to get additional tips from his tables, as he depended on that to make a good pay week.  We listened, of course, in awkwardness and left when he had finished talking about it.  The last night of the cruise, my family had shaken his hand and thanked him for all he had done and were walking out of the dining hall.  He followed me to the exit and stopped me and told me that if I was going to leave him something extra, to not put it in the envelope in the room because he would never get it.  Once again, I was put into this awkward conversation with this man.  He explained that an envelope was left in my room for me to put extra tip money in but that he would never get it so for me to simply give him what I wanted to give him into his hand.  I asked him how long he would be there and he said until 11:00 pm so I left.  It was totally inappropriate and unprofessional for him to put me into this awkward position twice while on my cruise with my family.  I just scheduled my next cruise for October and I decided, because of these issues, to go back to Carnival for my cruise.  Royal Caribbean is a great company, I'm sure.  However, I was left with the feeling of not being important to Royal Caribbean unless I flaunted money.

The food was excellent and the staff were too. The only reason I'm not giving a higher score is because my waitor hounded my family for an extra tip, including following me to the exit of the dining hall and asking me to put anything I wanted to give him straight into his hand. It made for a very awkward moment that was totally unprofessional.

Surfing was awesome. There was constant activity onboard.

The ship was absolutely beautiful and, most importantly, extremely clean.

Elizabeth was awesome. I don't think the poor woman ever stopped! On top of that, I never saw her without a smile on her face. She is a definite asset to Royal Caribbean!

Everyone should add the excursion "Riding horses in the ocean in Jamaica" to their bucket list! It was really awesome.

I didn't personally care for the Private Island port. I like getting off the ship and entering into a living society of different culture. The private island is like getting off the ship and the land is simply an extension of the ship for a few hours.
Absolutely loved Jamaica!! Riding with horses into the ocean was a memory I will carry with me forever. The straw markets there rocked!!