Disappointing First-Time Cruise

Island Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Helpful Vote: 1

Sail Date: August 01, 2014
Ship: Island Princess
Our deck (Dolphin Deck) had plumbing issues. The first half of the week the ship smelled of raw sewage. One morning\, from 9 a.m. to noon\, the entire deck had water and toilet service cut-off so the plumbing issue could be fixed. In addition\, many of the public restrooms had stalls closed for maintenance. Periodically during the rest of the week our toilet would stop flushing and we would have to call the steward to report an issue. Our toilet was not backed-up\, just would not flush due to some ship malfunction.

I really researched Princess and looked forward to such things as free fitness classes\, the Lotus Spa menu\, the Lotus Spa Thermal Suites\, and the Scholarship-at-Sea program. These amenities were specifically why I chose Princess. My first day on the ship I went to the gym to get a fitness class schedule. No schedule was posted\, so I talked to the female fitness instructor and was told that the fitness classes were $12 each and was shown the fitness class sign-up sheets. I was surprised that there were no free classes and I asked specifically if there were any free classes and again she said there were none. Much later in the week I found out from another guest that there were a few free classes. I was very disappointed that I was not informed about these classes. I was also extremely disappointed to find out after I boarded Island Princess that the Lotus Spa menu\, the Lotus Spa Thermal Suites\, and the Scholarship-at-Sea amenities were not available on this ship. I read everything on the Princess website very carefully\, but it was not noted that these amenities were not available on the smaller ships.

During the first two days of the cruise we were bombarded by staff trying to get us to purchase the wine tasting program and other amenities. We couldnt eat a meal in peace without being asked numerous times if we would like to purchase something. I think being approached five to seven times during a meal to be excessive.

Also annoying was the pict

We mostly ate in the Horizon Court. The food was average for a buffet\, but there was a good selection of choices for people of all nationalities. I would skip the Bayou and Crab Shack\, the extra cost of $20-$25 per person was not worth the cost. No seafood on the buffet\, which was disappointing. The dining room may have had seafood on days we didn't dine there\, but we didn't see anything on the menu.

No Scholarship @ Sea programs on Island Princess\, very small gym\, misinformation about free fitness classes\, lack of programming for more middle-aged guests.

Many of the stalls in the women's public restrooms were closed for maintenance. With the plumbing issues on deck 9\, and throughout the ship\, it was difficult to find a working toilet. There were a few days were I had to run around the ship looking for a working toilet when the deck 9 toilets stopped working.

We had an interior room\, which had plenty of storage. The bed was comfortable and we had enough room in the room itself. The bathroom was very cramped\, the shower was very small as many people have noted. There's shower gel and a shampoo/conditioner combo in the shower in wall-mounted dispensers. No hand lotion or other toiletries were provided. I asked for hand lotion and was told Princess didn't supply that. I was directed to the onboard shop that sold high-end cosmetics and skin care.

Pros: Alaska is amazing.

Cons: Island Princess was a disappointing first-time cruise.

Recommends Island Princess? No.