Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Worst Vacation I have ever had

Sail Date: August 17, 2007

My first cruise ever, with my 17-year old son, he had gone before with a friend and liked it so we went again. Horrible is the best word to describe this; if you are contemplating your first cruise, DO NOT do it! 3800 dollars gets 2 people on the boat only, after that they want money for everything, plus "gratuities" even though they are added into the bill. If you don't pay them, you get dirty looks and not even a 'thank you'. Offf-boat excursions are hugely expensive also, so we did none of those, but it was great to get to a new island just to get off that boat, which was filled with 2500 people and constantly rocking while at sea. Do NOT believe anyone who says you can not feel the rocking of a boat while at sea, you CAN, at all times; and we had calm seas. Beds; small. Stateroom; small. Shower; impossibly small. 9am every day a weather announcement is made, waking you up from a dead sleep; imagine, who would ever guess someone would want to sleep in on vacation? Can't do that, you need to be woken up and told it's 88 and sunny every day, for what I don't know. If the free cruise is given to me, you can keep it; I would never go on one of these things even if you paid me and tied me down, it was the most horrible, amazingly bad thing I have ever done.

Pros: Sun, ports of call

Cons: Expensive, ship constantly rocking, too many people, small beds, small room, being woken at 9am, dozens more horrible things

Recommends Explorer of the Seas? No.

King's Wharf, Bermuda
Average place, mini-bikes are very expensive at 90 per person for the day, and in 6 hours you can't see much; it was a sunday and nothing happening, the island dod look nice however.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Dirty island, run-down and very 3rd-world, they need to work on this place a LOT.
King's Wharf, Bermuda
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Nice island, reminded me of Hawaii, the highlight of an otherwise-awful trip.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Nice island, reminded me of Hawaii, the highlight of an otherwise-awful trip.