Crown Princess Cruise Review to U.S. - Pacific, Northwest

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Poor quality food in the main dining room and indifferent service made this "cheap" cruise life up to it's name.

Sail Date: April 26, 2014

First the good, the room was pleasant for and interior cabin and closet space, although not needed for a seven day cruise was plentiful.  The bath was remarkably small and it was very hard to keep the floor from getting wet and slippery when you showered.  The entertainment was typical, except they had a very good comedian one night.  The pizza bar was good, ice cream limited to 2 flavors daily and the buffet was decent.

The main dining room, especially the main courses, ranged from OK to bad.  The best meal I had was meatloaf...and that should tell you something.  The first night was prime rib.  My tablemate reported that her prime rib was not medium rare, an opinion I seconded.  The waiter said they were, no offer to take the meat (?) back.  The meat was tough, dry and their was one are that looked medium, which we both tried, it was not even the consistancy of beef.  By night three I realized beef was not an option on this trip.  Even on lobster night (which they coupled with shrimp)  I felt the lobster, while flavorful, was almost translucent and undercooked.  The deserts were the only meal highlight.  We could not get refills on tea nor could we seem to get hot coffee with our desert.

Attempting to get a wheelchair to get to the end of the pier proved another challange.  We called the front desk, they said ask when we disembark at security.  Security sent us to the front desk, the front desk said we needed a "medical" note from the ship's doctor (who was off until 5:00 pm) to get a wheel chair.  When I objected to this the clerk took off for about 15 minutes, then came back and said OK go to security.  Security then said they could take is 30 ' to the end of the ramp, but to get to the end of the pier, we would need the Port Authority and they didn't supply wheelchairs.  We gave up and walked slowly to the end of the pier.  On the way back we passed at least 15 "Princess Cruise" wheelchairs??

Disembarkation was a nightmare.  I was told by the headquarters early walk-off was at 7:30...I had tight flight connections, which thankfully I made at Long Beach airport.  I got off the ship at 8:15, 45 min. late.  My friends, whom I had driven with on departure, got off at 12:30 for a 10:15 am disembarkation.

The ports were fine, except we were in San Francisco on a Monday when almost all musuems are closed.

All told...pay the extra and take Celebrity.

Some of the staff was good, almost all were overworked and the several we had that were totally non-responsive earned them all a "bad" review.
Very little to do on sea days. No game room, couldn't get blankets for movie under the stars (which was nice).